August 29, 2010

L-Five Trail Run Report (04.1 Miles)

I had an OK run today. No drama. I struggled a little bit with my calf muscles, probably due to trying to change my foot strike. Following is my L-Five Trail Run Report.

Length: 04.06 Miles / 1 Hours and 1 Minute

My training plan called for a four mile run today. In response to the lessons I learned as a result of overtraining, I have decided to stick to my plan unless I have a specific reason to deviate from it. Feeling good isn't a good reason to increase my scheduled miles--I will build up slowly. However, if I am not feeling good, I am OK with dialing back the miles or rescheduling or skipping a run altogether. I am also paying closer attention to the symptoms of overtraining so that I do not repeat my previous mistakes.

View from Northshore Trail


I headed north from the MADD Shelter on the Northshore Trail shortly after 9 am. I like to run this portion of the trail on the weekend runs because it is a little more technical than the other parts, and as a result, there usually isn't as much mountain bike or foot traffic. The trail can get pretty busy on the weekends.

Small monument for MADD Shelter
at Northshore Trail on Lake Grapevine

Limbs: Ouch!

I struggled today with my calf muscles (this time, both of them). I stopped about .5 miles into the run to gently stretch them, and again at 1 and 1.5 miles. It wasn't until about 2.5 miles into my run that my calf muscles started to feel a little better. They were very stiff at the start of the run, then started to hurt a little by .5 miles, but felt better by the 2.5 mile mark. About the last .5 mile I started to get into a rhythm and felt like I was adjusting my foot strike based on what I was feeling in my calf muscles. I certainly didn't want to push it today, so I stopped at the 4 mile mark as planned. Otherwise, my legs felt strong and rested.

Lungs: Normal

I had the normal coughing at the start of the run. I hope some day my lungs will finally heal from quitting smoking. For now I just accept it as my standard routine and know they will clear after the first couple of miles.

Laughs: Nothing Interesting

I have no drama to report on this trail run. When I awoke this morning I was in a good running mental state. I wanted to go trail running, I enjoyed trail running, and I want to go trail running again. So it appears I have fully recovered from my overtraining fatigue.

Learning: Proper Foot Strike

At this point in my journey I am focusing on proper foot strike. I saw an instructional video about proper foot strike, and since, I have been attempting to modify my foot strike to match. I am glad I decided to make this change now instead of at some point down the road as my legs will have time to adjust to the new way of running while I am still at relatively shorter distances. I am certain that the discomfort I am experiencing in my calf muscles are a direct result of this new foot strike as I am now using my muscles as an impact cushion instead of using my heal.

Next Week:

My plan for next week is as follows:

  • Monday: strength training
  • Tuesday: 3 miles
  • Wednesday: 2 miles + strength training
  • Thursday: 3 miles
  • Friday: strength training
  • Saturday: cross-training
  • Sunday: 4 miles

As a side note, I recently joined dailymile. If you track your runs on dailymile, please send me a friend request!
Running Training Log

3 comments:

  1. Are you doing any other kind of running? I believe that if you vary your surfaces, you might find to do a little better perhaps? I like to mix it up a bit. As far as over training, it is very tempting but try not to. Lessons learned are the most valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenley, currently I am only running trails. I do vary my course (run a different part of the trail each time), but don't switch off to roads or treadmill. I think variation might help more with countering burnout than anything else. But I don't know for sure. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it. I have found the most important thing in running is not your shoes or training plan, but simply keeping yourself under control and not doing too much too soon. You will be better in the long run.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger