August 2, 2010

Week 2: Losing Weight Too Quickly

You probably don't hear too many people complain about losing weight too fast. However, when I weighted in this morning with the online version of Weight Watchers, the system yelled at me:

You’re probably excited to be losing weight, but you’re losing faster than is recommended. Although it’s normal to lose over 2 lbs in 1 week, if you lose more than an average of 2 lbs per week over a 4-week period, this could pose health risks, such as heart irregularities, anemia or loss of muscle mass. Please slow your weight loss; your doctor can help you do this if you’re not sure how.


OK, I get the message. And just like my training, I am in it for the long run (pun intended), not just a quick diet. I am trying to make some lifestyle changes to become more healthy, not just to lose a bunch of weight. And I want to lose weight in a healthy way, not to damage myself in the process. I wrote a few days back about feeling tired. I think it was because I wasn't eating as much as I should be. So my goal this week is to increase my intake so that I slow my weight loss rate to a maximum of 2 lbs. per week. How?

Well, I haven't really been eating my exercise points. In Weight Watchers you earn points for exercise, and then you can exchange those points for food. I've just been banking the exercise points and haven't been consuming them. So this week I will make sure I consume all of my exercise points. We will see if that helps to slow the loss rate.

I'd love to hear from others who have used the Weight Watchers program to lose weight. Please post a comment with any tips you learned while achieving your weight goal.

Later!

4 comments:

  1. Great Post man. When I started to lose weight, it came off a lot the first month or so. Then what I wanted to achieve was about a half a pound per week, that way, my body can adapt slowly. Hey, I didn't get fat in one night, so I am not going to be like Ryan Hall in one night either, or ever. lol. But now, I am about 20 lbs to my goal weight, and I am happy with a weight lose of .25 pounds a week. As long as it doesn't go up. I didn't do any diet plans to lose the weight, just ran and thought twice before what I ate. I got into the habit of thinking of food as just fuel. Best of wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, thanks for the great blog, I've been half-ass trying to lose weight and train for some time now. You've inspired me to get down to it, set some goals, buckle down and start my own blog chronicling my journey.

    I'll definitely be following your journey for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say that I've really struggled with this same issue, but it's definitely a concern for me as well since I'm naturally skinny and can't seem to gain weight for the life of me. Eventually, I'd like to be able to do five or six mile-runs a few times a week and I've been curious as to how that's going to impact my weight and eating habits. Make sure to keep up updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had the same issues, one day my log will tell me to slow down I lost too weight but then the next it will chide me for not keeping it off. My view now is I look for the trends and averages, is my average weight going down? If it is then that is good. Also, the amount of weight you lose at first will be high but when you get close to your goal it will take longer to take off less and less weight. In fact some weeks will go by and the scale may not budge but your clothes fit better. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger