August 10, 2010

Rest and Recovery Days

On my rest day yesterday I went mountain biking. I don't think I quite understand the concept of a rest day!

Well, actually, I am only joking. In reality, I fully understand that rest days are REALLY important. So why did I mountain bike yesterday? I'll get to that in a moment. For now, back to the purpose for rest days. In order to get stronger you must work your body to wear it down, but you must also allow time for your body to recover. It is during the recovery time that you body rebuilds itself stronger. A lack of proper recovery time can limit performance improvements and increase the chances of injury or overtraining. However, rest and recovery days do not mean that you can't do anything! In actuality, doing nothing on your rest day can cause your muscles to stiffen up. Some examples of rest and recovery activities could include walking, stretching exercises, core strengthening, swimming, and riding a bike.

But mountain biking is probably a little too much for a rest day. So why did I mountain bike yesterday instead of resting? I am trying to wear down my body so it can build back stronger. More specifically, I am trying to listen to how my body feels instead of blindly following a training program. Yesterday I was still feeling strong, so I decided to exercise instead of taking my scheduled rest day. However, this morning I am definitely feeling it, my legs are tired and I can tell they need a break. So a rest day it is.

What do you do on your rest and recovery days? How do you tell when your body is ready for a rest?

7 comments:

  1. I usually make a rest day a day that I lift on, plus a day where meetings are robbing all of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to, but no longer program in a rest day into my training schedule. Instead, like you mentioned, I listen to my body and take the rest day during the week when I feel I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Active recovery is the current buzz. Cross train, ease up on intensity, use your muscles but don't abuse them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Kovas, use but don't abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to do my long runs on rest day. Just kidding. Actually, I go out and jog for 30-40 minutes and then do some strength exercises and stretching. Some yoga sometimes on my rest days. But I tend to NOT call rest days rest days, but recovery days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guilty of cross training even on days I should be napping :-). Kayaking and Bikram are my favorite rest day activities. Water jogging is really kind of awesome too and great for shaking out some of that lactic acid buildup.

    Thank you for documenting this wonderful journey.

    -Che

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Thomas,

    Thanks for this goood Blog. I'm from Venezuela and I just moved to Montreal 3 month ago. I ran in Caracas 10K, 21K and I did once Boston marathon, but in my mind I've always have the idea to run and ultra marathon, so I landed in Montreal with the dream of train for a ultramarathon here. Although I haven't found friends to train i've being doing a good training but I do not know many trails yet.
    Your Blog is very good and inspirational. Thanks again
    @armandob

    www.decarambola.tumblr.com (nothing serious it is just for fun)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger