August 31, 2010

Trail Running Fitness Test 100831 (13:54)

I performed a baseline fitness test today on the Northshore Trail. I have been thinking about developing some method to test my fitness level so I can watch it improve (hopefully) over time. I realize that my trail running fitness test is anything but scientific. I also realize that certain factors can affect the results of the test. However, I figure tracking something is still better than tracking nothing! Time will tell if this is of any value. In this baseline report I will briefly discuss the factors, the concept, and the results of my first test.



The Factors

Following is a list of some of the factors that I believe will impact my test results (leave me a comment if you can think of others):
  • Fitness level--this is ultimately what I am trying to measure, so I will try each time to minimize the variance of the other factors.
  • Weight--More weight will increase heart rate. So as I continue on my goal to lose 50 lbs, I expect this will positively affect the results.
  • Temperature and humidity--Heart rate will increase on hotter days. I can expect better results as the Texas heat subsides.
  • Hydration level--Heart rate will increase as hydration level decreases. I think I have more control here.
  • The course--Unless I run the same course, I can't expect to get the same results. I will run the same course each time.
  • Time of day--Heart rates are lower earlier in the day. I will try to run at approximately the same time of day.
  • Running efficiency--Heart rates are lower with a more efficient running style. As I continue to run, I am getting better at it. So I expect I will improve efficiency over time which will reduce heart rate.
  • Distance--The longer I run the harder your heart must work. I will keep the distance consistent for each test by running the same loop on the trail.
As you can see, there are many factors that can affect the test.

The Concept and Setup

I will run the same course (Northshore Trail, MADD to Murrell and back, clockwise), once per month, and measure my heart rate and pace. I will seek to complete the loop as quickly as possible (to minimize my average pace). Any time my heart rate exceeds 150 bps, I will stop running and walk until my heart rate drops below 150 bps. I will use my average pace in minutes per mile as my measure of fitness.

My thinking behind this approach is that as my fitness and running efficiency increases, I should see a reduction in my pace, all other factors being equal. However, I realize there is no way to make all the other factors exactly equal, so I will just use this as a general benchmark. 

Following is the setup for today's test.
  • Max heart rate target: 150 bps
  • Temperature: 90F, feels like 100F
  • Humidity: 53%
  • Start time: 9:18 am CST
  • Course: Northshore Trail, MADD to Murrell and back, clockwise
  • Distance: 3.12 miles

The Results: 13:54 mpm

My average pace for my baseline trail running fitness test was 13:54 minutes per mile. I found during this test that I was quickly bumping up against the 150 bps maximum heart rate. As a result, I had to stop and walk frequently throughout the test. Here's a graphic that shows my speed fluctuations:

Trail Running Fitness Test--Speed Fluctuations
Each time my heart rate hit 150 bps I would stop running and walk until my rate dropped below 150 bps. As you can see by the graphic, I spiked numerous times. I realized that by the nature of the trails, due to inclines and such, I can expect the spikes. The point is that if I run the same trail and I am in better condition and/or my efficiency improves, I should be able to move through the test loop at a faster pace.

Anyway, that's my test. I will repeat the test about once per month and compare the results. If you have any thoughts on this approach, please let me know.

9 comments:

  1. Nice work, just wondering are you using a Polar?
    I used this approach a few times but it is really difficult to measure progress. Numerous factors come into play, time of day, outside temp, how fatigue you are.
    Did you try testing on shorter distances? I use Joe Friel's approach check him out http://www.joefrielsblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expat--yes, I used a Polar for the heart rate test. Agreed on the factors. Will check out Joe's site. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, so kudos for developing a well thought out fitness test plan.

    I'm kind of curious how you settled on the max heart rate of 150 bpm though. I know I reach 150bpm in short order during my runs (granted, I'm out of shape), and I'd become pretty frustrated if I was forcing myself to walk every couple minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy--good question on how I settled on 150 bpm for my fitness test. Since I am training for long distance endurance, my primary interest is in improving my oxygen transportation (the Aerobic heart rate zone). That zone is about 70-80% of maximum heart rate. 80% of my maximum heart rate (adjusted based on my resting heart rate) is just over 150 bpm. My Polar only allows me to adjust the settings in 5 bpm increments. So I rounded down to 150 bpm, which is the upper end of MY oxygen transportation heart rate training zone. See heart rate training zones for more information. There is a calculator on the site to help you figure out the numbers. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you needed to base your percentages off of your max. heart rate? Do you know what your max is? Just curious?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it makes sense to have a HR ceiling on a fitness test. A fitness test like this should really be an all out effort - the highest intensity you can maintain for the duration of the test. I'd suggest you consider a shorter test, probably something you can complete in no more than 20 minutes. I'd recommend performing it on relatively flat roads, too, not on trails.

    I understand your ultimate goal is trail ultras, but we're talking about a monthly fitness test here, not a "regular" endurance training run. A HR ceiling for endurance training runs, sure, by all means. But, for a fitness test, the HR limit doesn't make sense.

    As one example, Charmichael Training Systems, which employ some of the best minds in the field of sports science, prescribe a running fitness test that is "just" one 8 minute all out effort (following a ~15 min warmup, of course). Record avg and max HR, and distance traveled. From this, appropriate training pace and HR zones can be established.

    Also, as you noted, HR can be a very unreliable measure of effort. Too many variables can throw it off. I'd be careful about putting too much reliance on HR as you primary measure of running intensity. Ultimately, pace is probably the best measure, but granted, that's difficult to use for trail running.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, that should be "Carmichael" not "Charmichael".

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a simple cardio fitness test have you consider measuring your recovery heart rate time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy if I had to stop running when I hit 150bpms I would never get anywhere. I have always had a high heart rate and have reached 209 as a recorded max. While racing I can average in the 190's for an hour, peaking in the low 200's during accelerations. It baffles my friends minds, but a recent diagnosis of two leaky heart valves suggests that my heart needs to work just a bit harder than normal.

    I would suggest using the "all out" method and compare times over the distance. Just my 2 cents

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger