August 18, 2010

5 Reasons Why I Love Running

I’ve had some people ask why I selected running as part of my Three in Three Challenge. Off the top of my head, I can think of five reasons why I love running:

1. Running helps release stress.
When I decided to quit smoking I knew that I would need another avenue to release stress. In the past I would reach for my cigarettes. Although running isn’t as convenient as smoking, running is definitely healthier!

2. Running burns calories.
This one obviously supports my weight loss goal. I could probably achieve my weight loss goal without exercise. However, I find that when I exercise I am also more conscious about what I put into my body. I make better selections when I know that the food I eat and the liquids I drink help to fuel my runs.

3. Running allows me to train for a specific goal.
I am a goal oriented person. As a professional project manager, I have been trained and conditioned to think about goals and to break down goals into manageable pieces. I have broken down my ultramarathon goal and running fits nicely into this mindset.

4. Running clears my mind.
I find when I am running that I am able to think more clearly about issues that I might be working through. I come up with some pretty interesting ideas while on the trail. I am not sure what it is about running, but it just helps me get stuff out of my head so I can move on to other stuff.

5. Running makes me happy.
Bottom line, I just love running, especially on the trails. That wasn't always the case--when I first started running wasn't much fun. But now, when I complete my run I feel good about myself. I feel like I have accomplished something of value. I look forward to my next run with great anticipation.

I suspect there are hundreds of reasons why people love running. What are your reasons?

7 comments:

  1. I love running for it's simplicity - really all I need are time, shoes and shorts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, it amazes me how much your and my story and paths parallel one another. Mine was quitting chewing instead of smoking, but with the other points we are spot on. Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I think No. 5 sums it up. And the simplicity aspect is a big factor for me. Sometimes you don't even need shoes. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more! Those are exactly the reasons I usually mention when someones asks me 'Why?'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love running because it challenges me, and even when everything else is falling apart and I seem to be failing everywhere, running brings me back up and allows me to say, "I did it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job going running. I quit smoking years ago and have continually put on weight. Walking is hard. I start to do things to lose weight and instead gain.

    I have never tried running but have heard people doing it love it. Right now, need to walk more.

    eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really run for reason #1. The rest of the reasons are all benefits for me....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger