August 4, 2010

Hydration Advice

I need some advice from the runners out there. I am trying to learn about proper hydration both on and off the trail. I am having some early success with my experimentation, but would love some feedback from others to help steer me in the right direction. I will outline specifically what I am looking for below. But for now, here’s where I am at so far.

I’ve learned from the comments on previous posts that hydration isn’t limited to something you do will running, but instead, is something you do all day, every day. So I’ve increased my water intake throughout the day, and that is working well. However, I am still struggling with how much (and what) to drink while running. I realized that hydration isn’t an exact science and that the combinations of people and running situations vary infinitely. However, I do think that by tracking my hydration I can learn about what works for me and use that information to improve.

For example, in an article on Ultrarunner.com, I read that you can determine your hydration level by your weight before and after a run (or during a run, in longer runs). If you lose weight, you didn’t drink enough. If you gain weight, you drank too much (I am oversimplifying the article). I've also read elsewhere that you should only drink based on your thirst. So I decided to start weighing myself before and after my runs and to keep track of the amount I drank (as well as other key information like distance, time, temparature, etc.). In theory, I should be able to use the information to estimate the amount I need to drink, given similar variables.

The first time I did this was during my long run last Sunday. I weighed myself immediately before I left and immediately when I returned. I was surprised to see that I lost 1.5 lbs during the run (which was only 6 miles). During that run I drank 42 oz of Gatorade. According to the article, 1 pound of weight is equal to approximately 1 pint of fluids. A US pint contains 16 oz of fluid. Therefore, if I lost 1.5 lbs during the run, I should have drunk an additional 22 oz of fluid. Doing the math, in that particular scenario, I should have drank around 11 oz per mile.

I decided to use this information for my run yesterday. My training schedule called for a 3 mile run. I had decided to run a specific part of the trail which I know from previous runs is about 3.4 miles. I would do the run at roughly the same time and at roughly the same temperature. Therefore, at 11 oz per mile, I should consume approximately 37 oz during my run. I decided to run with my Camelbak this time, which carries 36 oz. I drank the full 36 oz during my run. I weighed myself before and after the run and my weight was identical. SUCCESS!

Again, I realize that the variables are endless. I also realize these are pretty short runs and I will probably experience different hydration rates during longer runs. But the point is that I can use the information over time to get a better understanding about the hydration needs of my body during certain situations and use that information to estimate my hydration needs during similar situations. Experiment, learn, apply.

OK, that was my lengthy brain dump. Here’s where I need your advice. I would love to hear from other runners about what you do to hydrate while running. Please post a comment with your thoughts on some or all of the following questions:
  • How do you calculate your hydration needs?
  • How do you hydrate while running (carry liquids, hide bottles along path, stop at car on each loop, etc.).
  • If you carry, what do you use (Camelbak, Fuel Belt, hand bottles, pros/cons of each).
  • Do your hydration needs change as your distance increases?
  • If you talk about hydration in one of your race reports or blog posts, please include a link so I can read it.
That’s it for now. I hope to hear from many of you on this one!

7 comments:

  1. I am running in one of the hottest places on the planet. I drink about 2 gallons of water a day +/- just to stay sane. Just before my runs I drink at least 20 oz. of Gatorade and about 10-15 oz. of water. During my runs I carry a FuelBelt with 2-10 oz. bottles for a total of 20oz. One bottle is gatorade and the other bottle is water. The gatorade is used at the beginning of my run and then I switch to water. I drink 1-2 large swallows every mile for the first 3-4 miles then sooner depending on my mouth. Because it's so hot here my mouth dries out faster than normal so I find if I keep my mouth wet I am probably consuming enough fluids. So far this has served me well up to my current distance of 8 miles. However I think this is my limit so I will start staging bottles on my loop to refill with. Remember they say it takes your body 20 minutes to digest whatever you're drinking so any sports drinks you drink closer to the end of your run won't help the run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I want to mark out, that fluid support is not necessary for runs under 60-75 minutes, except under very hot conditions like Daniel said. Further it is important to hydrate well over the day to be prepared for the run. If you make a long run start drinking early before you become thirsty and drink more often small amounts of fluid instead of big amounts at once. Of course you have to choose wether you take a sports drink or only water. For me it works best to drink only water and uptake the salts and carbohydrates with food. Only in longer runs greater 30 kilometers I mix sport drinks or take some coke for the last parts of the race. But the best recommendation is to figure it out during your runs, everybody needs ofter conditions during long runs and your body will tell you what he wants.
    So start with a basic equipment of fluids and food and plan your training to have easy access to further different fluids in for example in the next shop you run by or on a round course around your home.

    I wish you much success with your training, keep on running. I cross fingers for your running schedule, especially the ultramarathon is a race you will never forget. I ran my first this year in May and crossing the finish line is a feeling that changes you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Thomas!
    I'm glad we became friends. I'm a trail runner and I became obsessed with carrying my own water after I got strep from a public drinking source. I use a CamelBak designed for trail runners (CamelBak Octane 8+) because a CB designed for cyclists will chafe a runner up quite righteously (I got scars to prove it). I was only competing in 10k races so water only was fine until I started training for the SF Marathon and found out that Cytomax sports drink would be offered on the course so I started putting that solution starting with it extremely diluted for my long runs and eventually working out to the recommended concentration by the time I was ready for the race.
    What a huge difference a scientifically designed sports drink made. It was true to the claims it made about reducing muscle fatigue. So now for runs over 6 miles I definitely use the Cytomax. I buy the powder and don't recommend gatorade in plastic bottles because it generates an EXTREME amount of plastic waste and is costlier than buying powdered sports drink that you can mix on your own.
    There also is some science that supports that replacing the weight loss on a run is actually dangerous. You should research that more, I think runnersworld.com is probably a good source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I carry water on my back (56 fl. ounces does me good for about 12 hilly miles on a hot day). For more miles, say 20, I also carry a bottle that I put nuun tables or pedialyte in to mix with water. (There are sometimes fountains along the trails, not always though). I have a smaller pack that I hardly use any more, and I have a 100 ounce pack that I also don't use, because in races and the hills I usually run, there's always a chance to refill.

    I also check urine color. I don't want dark yellow. That means I'm not drinking enough.

    Basically, I just drink when I'm thirsty, plus a little more. I don't calculate. And I try always to bring enough water if there's no chance to refill. Never conserve your water, or never be in that situation where you have too.

    I also bring along calories if I'm running more than three hours. On a five hour plus runs, I might take in 500 calories, maybe more, not to mention the electrolytes. (Don't forget your electrolytes!).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fluids and fuel during any run is something we'll be talking about for ages. Why? Because there is no single answer that works for everyone. Somebody above stated that "fluid support is not necessary for runs under 60-75 minutes, except under very hot conditions like Daniel said." I tend to disagree. For me, I need about 700mL for every three miles I run in the heat and humidity. Like you said, there are many variables, but the runner is the biggest variable out there.

    A few months ago I went on a 10 mile run. I carried 2 liters in a pack while my running partner carried about 16 ounces. He didn't even touch his water until the halfway point while I was chugging away like a horse.

    So that's my big advice, do what works for you. Experiment. Track your progress. Learn from others, but find a solution for you.

    Now, with that said, I'll tell you what I do. First, I'm no expert. I average a 12 to 13 minute mile. I'm 33, 6 foot tall, and weigh 235. And I drink like a horse. Anything over 3 miles I usually wear a water pack. Specifically the Nathan HPL 020. It holds 2 liters and is wonderful to wear. It doesn't have a ton of extra room for extra water, but it's so light, it's easy to forget it's there. Depending on the shirt you wear, it may cause the shirt to ride up in the back, but nothing terrible. My older pack was a cheap High Sierra model and it sucked. After a few uses the mouthpiece leaked, it weighed a ton, and was prone to breaking (not something you want when you're in the middle of a long run).

    In my water pack I use strictly water. The idea of cleaning out Gatorade makes me cringe. I do pack sports drinks when heat and distance demand. I find that I need one about every 5 to 7 miles. I've found that I like Propel because it's a bit "lighter" than Gatorade. GU Brew has also worked out for me, but not all flavors taste good.

    I have created a spreadsheet on Google Docs that tracks my fluid, fuel, and equipment choices. Some I love, some I hate, some are just okay. Check it out and see what you can learn.

    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoaUvb--gUBydGZQLVNQeEllR0QxLUlvaXYyODlKM1E&hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hydration is dependent on the person. Everyone is different. I don't carry water for distances under 6 miles unless temp + humidity is over 150 and it's only a precaution. I usually only take a swallow. Half-marathon distance's I might drink 8 oz. If I drink too much while running, I get severe stomach cramps. So I try to keep my hydration up throughout the day. I have a scale that gives me a percent of water reading, so I try to keep that at 55%. I weigh myself everymorning to check that. All that to say experiment and see what works best. What I do has me running borderline sometimes but that's what I have to do. I wish I could drink as much as you did on your run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used waist packs with bottles and I have a hydration pack. I would stick with the hydration pack 100% except for two things. On long HOT runs, I use the bottles to wet my head and cool down and also I can use one bottle to add NUUN to in order to get my electrolytes under control. What do people with hydration packs do for these issues? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger