August 9, 2010

Week 3: Continuing To Lose Weight

When I weighted in last Monday, the Weight Watchers online program yelled at me. Apparently I was losing weight too quickly. So I set a goal for the last week to lose less weight. I suspect you don't hear that too often! Anyway, in the previous two weeks I was not eating the points I earned through exercise. This week I decided I would eat my exercise points. However, I greatly increased my exercise over the last week and couldn't keep up with all the points I earned. I ate most of them, but not all of them. As a result, I still lost more than recommended and the system still yelled at me, but I am getting closer.

I ended up losing 2.6 lbs over the last week. This puts me at a total of 9.7 lbs lost or at about 19% of my 50 lbs goal. Again, the Weight Watchers system recommends keep your weight loss to within 2 lbs per week averaged over a four week time frame. I am currently averaging 3.2 lbs per week. So I still need to slow my weight loss further, which means either eating more or running less (or a combination of the two). And I'm not going to run less.

I am not really concerned about it. I have shifted my learning focus to electrolyte and calorie replacement during exercise. As a result, I plan to take in calories as I run, which will offset some of the calories I burn. So I am confident I can get my weight loss under the 2 lbs per week as recommended. I am in this for the long run (pun intended), not to try to lose a bunch of weight overnight and then just put it all back on. I am working on a lifestyle change, not a diet. So I am perfectly fine with the process extending over a longer period of time.

For those reading this, what do you do to maintain a healthy weight? Please leave me a comment and share what has worked for you.

7 comments:

  1. As a relative newbie at this endeavor as well I've read that you don't really need to refuel with solid fuels unless you are running over 1.5 - 2 hours or so. Don't know how accurate that is, but so far I'm just using one energy gel for under 2 hour runs.

    After your post last week thought I'd weigh myself pre and post run as well. Did a trail for about 2 hours Sunday, drank about 20 ounces during that time, 1 gel packet and drop just over a pound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious whether that 2 pounds per week takes into account your exercise? Would think that counted only weight loss through the diet portion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kovas, the weight reduction target includes exercise. If you exercise, you earn points, and you eat more to use up the points. End result should be no more than 2 lbs loss per week on average over four weeks, at least that is the recommendation from Weight Watchers. Thanks for the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always take in calories on any run longer than 90 minutes. And for the rest of the day, I like to eat pretty constantly, almost every 2 hours, never having a giant meal, just mostly snacks & smaller meals. I've managed to stay at 170 for several years.

    I have noticed I eat more calories when I run more miles. There will always be the calorie in/calorie out factor in play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't worry about the 2lb per week so much. You have 50 to lose so you will lose more at the first and then taper off as you have less to lose. That 2lbs per week is targeted for the masses and not as an individual taking into account starting weight, body type and frame, etc.
    I think that is awesome and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the good work! When you start 'ultra training', you won't have to worry about calories ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Robin. While I never really tried to lose a lot of weight, there is a seasonal variation with me. I typically lose 10-15 pounds from my off season to when I am at my most fit point. I usually drop the first 5 pounds quickly, then the next 5 will be slow over months, then the last portion will come when my level of workouts are very high and I can't keep up. So don't lose too much sleep over lost weight now, but just make sure you are eating and especially eat RIGHT after you are done working out. The only warning I will give, is if you start to get sick, it might be you have lost too much weight too fast. Some of my fellow athletes who have a comfort zone with weight and when they drop below it, their immune system is the first to let them know . Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger