July 19, 2011

Treating Plantar Fasciitis

Source: Mayo Clinic
See 6 Tips For Treating Plantar Fasciitis

Yesterday I received some comments from readers indicating that the pain in my foot is probably plantar fasciitis (say "PLAN-ter fash-ee-EYE-tus"). After doing some research, I tend to agree. A couple of the key symptoms I saw online:
  • Pain in the bottom of the heel
  • Usually worse in the morning when you take your first steps
  • More noticeable when climbing stairs
One of the common causes is long-distance running, especially on uneven surfaces or shoes with poor arch support. Interestingly enough, the problem started shortly after switching from my tried and true trail shoes to a new pair that I was testing for a major shoe manufacturer. So I suspect running trails with the new shoes was the cause. 

Anyway, how do you treat plantar fasciitis?

Well, start with the normal stuff for injuries, like following the R.I.C.E. method. In addition, I've been gently stretching it and rolling my foot on a baseball to massage the tissue. But a reader also commented that I should use "The Sock" at night in order to stretch the injured fascia. What the heck is The Sock?

The Strassburg Sock is a splint that keeps tension on the plantar fascia so it heals in a stretched position at night. The manufacturer claims that users report a reduction of morning pain and reduced recovery time.

It's basically a big compression sock with an adjustable piece of material to keep your foot at a 45 degree angle to your leg. The purpose is to stretch the plantar fasciitis while you sleep.

Cool idea. So off I went to my local drug store to pick one up. Nope, not on the shelf. I found them online but didn't want to wait for shipping. So I decided to create one myself!

I took an old tube sock and cut in it half. Then I ran a couple of strips of duct tape from the bottom of my foot up to just under the knee. Finally, I wrapped the duct tape just above my calf muscle to keep the strips in place.

I will say three things about my little contraption:

First, it looked really stupid! As you can tell by the picture, this isn't going to win any awards for design or product execution. My wife even laughed at me!

Second, it was rather uncomfortable to sleep with. Although the contraption worked as intended (kept my foot at a 45 degree angle), it was difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

Third, it worked! When I took my first steps this morning (after removing the duct tape!), my foot felt better than it did yesterday. I am by no means healed, but I could feel a marked improvement.

What does this mean for my birthday ultramarathon? I have decided to at least delay it for a couple of weeks, if not cancel it all together and just start my final cycle of training for the Rockledge Rumble 50K, my first "official" ultramarathon.

Your thoughts?

Good Plantar Fasciitis Reference Sites:
Mayo Clinic
WebMD

14 comments:

  1. I've gotten plantar fascitis a few times as well. My most recent episode was when I was training for a 10k and everyone told me to buy some good shoes with good support because my arch sucks. Well I went and got fitted, spent lots of money on shoes and within 2 weeks I was having the worse plantar fascitis I've ever had. I managed to heal it enough to run my race but since then I've totally switched to minimalist footgear. I run in VFF and barefoot (it's been a slow transition though) and just by walking around in my VFF my foot has been healing! There was a marked transition for me as the first few days of wearing them I found my feet being sore from the workout they were finally getting! But so far it's been really worth it.

    Also, I'm not saying you should switch to minimalist foot gear but you may want to look into it. Everyone was always telling me to get shoes with good arch support because my arch sucked but no one suggested working to build up my arch. All the shoes do is put a bandaid on it.

    Here is another exercise for your PF. Put your barefoot flat on the ground and pull your big toe under your foot as far as you can without lifting it off the ground. This stretches the arch and it hurts but the more you do it the better.

    Also to build up the muscles in your arch you can pick up a towel off the ground with your toes.

    I hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the Strassburg Sock and found it to be incredibly uncomfortable because the elastic material stretches over the toes and puts a lot of pressure on the ends of the toes. I'd wake up after a few hours and take the sock off.

    I battled PF for 6 months. What finally worked for me was a series of ART treatments and a pair of daily wear orthotics with an oversized arch to constantly keep the fascia stretched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a massage therapist, I see a lot of clients with PF. I do see it in runners, but it's pretty common in anyone who spends a lot of time on their feet, regardless of footwear. Since fascia is a type of connective tissue, it doesn't receive the best blood supply so it has a slow healing time (hence the reason so many people battle it for so long). As with any injury, scar tissue forms and causes restrictions in the fascia. That's where the pain comes in. Active Release Techniques (ART) are wonderful for stretching the fascia and deep tissue work will help break up the adhesions from scar tissue and help get rid of the pain. Although deep tissue work on the feet will be painful itself! In any case, you'll notice a difference right away and start feeling better faster.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thomas!

    Two comments today, both about icing:

    1)I learned from my Achilles Tendinitis that sticking my foot and heel in a basin of actual ice water worked MUCH better than using a cold pack. Put it in there until you are numb, take it out and let it warm up, then repeat 2-3x. If you have an ice maker this method is not that big a deal to do. Please try this and compare and let me know how it goes

    2) A friend that has PF says that even after you are symptom free and back to running keep doing the icing after running for at least 3 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn’t realize how good this site is the first time I checked it out. But once you spend some time with it, it’s rather impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen many of runners get the dreaded PF. All the runners I have coached, have to do one thing. That is all have to wear arch cushion insoles in all of their shoes all the time. Work shoes, dress shoes, running shoes. Not one runner that I was worked with has expierenced any PF. I have been running 30 years, I learned my secret 25 years ago. I run up to 100 miles a week and stand on my feet all day. The key is to find the correct arch cushions and wear them religously. Also, maintain lean body mass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been running for about a month again after two months out with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It still hurts sometimes, but not as bad as it did then. What helped me the most was stretching the calf, there's a few different ones you can do, or yoga. And the other thing that really works well is Rock Tape (or whatever brand of kinesio tape you prefer). It really does help to see a doc though, to rule out a stress fracture, and mine prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a night splint and orthotics to wear, which really help an initial flare up. It's a really slow process and takes an intense amount of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's worked best for me over the years, is to freeze a 20 oz bottle of water, then just use my foot to roll the bottle back and forth. I could do that while sitting watching TV or while sitting at my desk working. 5-10 minutes on, 10-20 minutes off 2-3 times through. Also, Ibuprophen worked well for the pain, and wheat beer did too.

    Good luck!
    Rafael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Greatly appreciated. I am giving most of them a try. I also set up a meeting with my doctor tomorrow to get it checked out to make sure we have diagnosed it correctly! Appreciate all the help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was the one that recommended the Strassburg Sock on your other post. I just wanted to tell you that I found it very uncomfortable for about a week. In fact, the first few nights I tore it off in my sleep. I found it on my night table the next morning.

    I just wanted to encourage you to keep trying. Soon your body will adjust, and you will sleep comfortably while wearing it.

    Also, I tried everything the podiatrist recommended (inserts, icing, stretching, always wearing shoes, etc...) I had very little long-term relief. While continuing the Strassburg Sock, I went almost entirely barefoot (minus my running), and it began to clear up in about 3 weeks time. Be prepared to do the opposite, if what you are trying isn't working. The opposite just might work!

    I've been symptom free since 2009.

    StacyFG
    stacyruns.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the update, Shiksa. I am heading in your direction. Instead of trying to pad my feet I am walking around in bare feet on my stone floors and stretching, icing, and working the tissue. My thinking is that I need to make my feet stronger and tougher, not baby them with inserts and softer shoes. But if that doesn't work out, I might have to go the other direction. The key is to keep trying different things until I find something that works--for me! I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow. Will ask him about the sock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Thomas,
    I had PF last winter and know what you are going through. What worked for me was ditching my motion control shoes and going more minimal. I wore my Merrell Pace Gloves at work all day, was barefoot at all times when at home and took a month off of running. I would ice my foot 4-5 times a day and took natural anti-inflammatories like turmeric, bromelain and boswelia. I stretched and deep massaged my calf (using my knee on the opposite leg) every day. I started back running slowly and if I felt any twinges of tightness or pain in my PF foot I'd ease back a bit. It took me a few months but now is just a distant memory. I will never go back to the heavily padded and motion controlled shoes! Anything that props your arch up is making it weaker in the long run and you are on the right track with strengthening your feet muscles. My feet have changed so much since I had PF. No longer do I have almost flat feet. My arch is higher and strong and my feet look and feel so strong now. Good luck and I fast healing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi folks,
    For plantar fasciitis, use a roller, as it actually works. http://goo.gl/UsKz1
    -k @FitOldDog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger