July 25, 2011

Rockledge Rumble 50K Training Plan

10/19/2011 update: I've decided to drop out of this race due to continued problems with plantar fasciitis. See more info.

I was unable to participate in my planned birthday ultramarathon yesterday due to a bout of plantar fasciitis. So I am shifting my focus on my next milestone trail race, the 2011 Rockledge Rumble 50K.

The Rockledge Rumble is held each year on my home trail, the Northshore Trail. The race is managed by the North Texas Trail Runners and honors America's veterans. I picked this race as my first official ultramarathon because of its location--I wanted my first ultramarathon to be on the trail I run almost every day. Call me a little sentimental. Anyway...

I am going to follow the same training schedule that I was using for my birthday ultra but with a few modifications. I reduced the long run distances for the first few weeks (highlighted in yellow) in order to give my foot more time to heal. Otherwise, I will follow the plan as originally outlined on the UltraLadies website. Of course, if my foot starts hurting again I will dial back the mileage or stop running altogether until it heals.

Here we go again!

3 comments:

  1. I really hope you can continue your training for this one! I got plantar fasciatis after over-training for a marathon- and have yet to really run without feeling pain. That was almost 6 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've definitely got a far out goal mapped out here! Which of course makes it all the sweeter on completion. I have been suffering from the old "Runner's Knee" complaint so I'm in a similar position (apart from the Ultra!). I'm glad someone shares my frustration, hope you can quickly get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ran the 15k @ rockledge yesterday, first time. awesome trails. keep up the good work & hope things get better

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger