July 12, 2011

Tapering

I am a little less than two weeks away from running my first fat ass (self supported) ultramarathon. I've completed my 50K training schedule (with the exception of the tapering part!). Now I am tapering for the big event.

The taper is supposed to help my body recover from the mileage build up during training. It is supposed to help me feel fresh and sharp so I am ready on race day. But to be honest, right now I just feel tired--not over training tired, but just generally tired. So I welcome the taper and the recovery period.

So far I have not experienced the taper crazies. I will welcome them over the tiredness I am currently feeling. Bring on that big burst of energy!!!

I find it a little hard to believe that a year ago I could not run a half mile without throwing up on the side of the trail (literally). And now I am going to run a 50K. Amazing what the body can do when you challenge it.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! What a great feeling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a very useful blog with much information regarding helth in all terms…….. and I want to see how others react to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your ultra! I personally don't like tapering, but all the experts say to do it.

    I got to run to trails in Texas last week -- Glen Rose and Mineral Wells. Fun, fun.

    Again -- good luck. And try not to overheat. And don't forget your calories! If I neglect my calories in the early stages, I feel like vomiting when I take them later on : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lauren. The taper is so far so good. I am probably going to start my run in the early morning hours to avoid the heat. Ordered a headlamp to help with running in the dark.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger