July 21, 2011

Frustrated

I am sidelined from my running due to a case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I was only a week away from running my first fat ass ultramarathon, but I decided to cancel because of the foot injury. I was a little bummed at first, but I am getting over it.

Next I decided to look for ways that I could exercise without putting much pressure on my right foot. I'm not a fan of swimming, so I decided on biking.

I usually ride my bike to the trail and back when I run, so I am no stranger to the bike. However, substituting the time running on the trail for time on the bike was going to be a new experience for me. No problem, I am up to the challenge.

So yesterday morning I hopped on my bike and started out for a test ride. I wanted to keep it short just to test my foot to see if it felt OK. Well, the ride was a little shorter than expected... I went less than a quarter mile before my back tire blew!

No problem. The tire was old anyway. So off I went to the bike shop and had them replace both the tube and the outside tire. Brand new. Awesome. Ready to roll.

This morning I awoke nice and early excited about going on my bike ride (well, maybe not excited, I'd still rather run on the trail, but riding is better than sitting at home starring out my window). I started off on a paved bike trail near my house. My plan was to ride to the end of the trail, then turnaround and ride back, another test ride of sorts. It didn't work out that way.

About a mile and a half into the ride my FRONT tire blew. Another flat. But this time I had much further to push my bike back home. And by the time I made it back home, my right foot was REALLY sore!

I can honestly say that I am frustrated right now. I am three days away from when I was planning to run my first ultramarathon and I can't even walk a mile without pain.

I am going to stare out my window for a little while...

5 comments:

  1. Aww! I'm so sorry to hear that you encountered this. Maybe it was a sign from the universe that it's best to kick up your feet for a bit and give them a rest. There will always be another ultramarathon to run but you only get one set of bones to run with. :) Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freeze a tomato paste can, then start rolling your foot over it multiple times/day! Once the inflammation goes down, you can switch from the icy rolling to rolling your foot over a golf ball. It works wonders! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Annette. I am going to give it (freeze tomato paste can) a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Thomas--Injuries are SO frustrating. I too suffered from PI and found a bag of frozen veggies under my foot was comforting. Other things that helped was a tennis ball to roll on, stretching and Rocktape. But I think the BEST thing I did was get some great orthotics from my doctor. They've seemed to alleviate all my running pains. Good luck and chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too had probs with my plantar fasciitis. Rolling the foot on a tennis ball tube over the course of a week and some Orthotics for my work shoes fixed it. I do get a twinge now and again when I forget to put the Orthotics in my shoes so they def make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger