July 18, 2011

Sore Feet

I did my last weekend run yesterday as I continue to taper for my first ultramarathon. I am still planning on running it as a self-supported trail run on my birthday, July 24th. However, I've developed a problem with my feet that might push that date out.

As I've mentioned previously, I am testing some shoes for one of the major shoe manufacturers. I've noticed since I started testing that the arch on the underside of my feet started to get sore and has been progressively getting worse. This morning when I crawled out of bed I could barely walk without pain in my arches. The pain is exactly in the red area of this picture...

Photo from PubMed Health

So I've made two decisions.

First, I am going to switch back to my "old" shoes. I didn't have any problems with my feet while running in my old shoes, so I will go back to what I know works.

Second, I am going to stop running all together until my feet feel better. I am at the end of my taper anyway, so the rest will probably only help prepare me for my first ultramarathon. But I will have to see how they recover before starting out on my birthday run. If my feet are still sore, I will delay the run until they feel better.

In hindsight, I should have waited to test new shoes until after my ultra. My bad. Live and learn.

4 comments:

  1. You need to check out Plantar Fasciitis. I draw pretty pictures for as living and am not a doctor, but you are describing textbook symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest, ice, stretch, massage and definitely switch back to your old runners when you are able to get back out on the trail.

    Hopefully you will be able to nip this in the bud because plantar fascittis sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeff/Keri for the tips!

    I remember having this issue once before. Someone recommended rolling my foot on a baseball to work the tissue. It worked well the last time so I am trying that again. I will say, IT HURTS LIKE A SON-OF-A-$%#$@ when I do it!

    Injuries suck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely classic PF symptoms. Try the Strassburg sock at night too. http://www.thesock.com/. It really helps. I healed and ran at the same time after I started using the strassburg sock. I promise I don't work for the company. LOL

    -StacyFG
    stacyruns.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger