July 29, 2011

Cleared To Run

On Wednesday my doctor gave me the green light to start running again. He confirmed the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. He told me that the condition would probably last for many weeks or months but that it didn't need to sideline me.

He gave me some guidelines to follow based on how my foot feels (pain scale). To oversimplify, if I feel pain, don't run. If its just sore, OK to run and increase mileage slowly. He also prescribed a regular regimen of stretching (including gentle stretches numerous times per day) and icing after my runs.

So yesterday I returned to the trail and went for a short two mile jog. I could definitely feel soreness in my foot, but no pain. I spent some time immediately after the run doing some stretching. And when I returned home I iced it. I continued stretching throughout the day and at a couple of other times I rolled my foot on a frozen water bottle. It actually felt pretty good to do that!

This morning my foot was sore when I awoke but not painful. So I ran again, this time about four miles. I followed the same routine, stretching immediately after the run and icing when I returned home. As I write this just before dinner, I am sitting with my feet in a bucket of ice water! Cold, but feels good.

I will continue to increase my mileage slowly over the next week to see how my foot responds and will continue stretching and icing. Hopefully I will resume my training schedule within the next week or two.

Fingers (and toes) crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trail Jogger,
    Re: Plantar Fasciitis,
    I have had you on my blogroll for ages and decided to take a look (been busy elsewhere). I really like your screen layout.
    The best cure for plantar fasciitis is a roller. I have written about it a bunch of times, and now people are starting to listen, and report back success. I tend not to go to doctors for such things, as it is hard to find one who really understands biomechanics. Though doctors have saved my butt a bunch of times; just need to know when to consult them. Take a look at this post http://goo.gl/UsKz1, as it will help you to keep this dreadful thing at bay (it can return, so roll before and after running very briefly). Sidelines more runners than knee problems, based on what I hear.
    Keep up the blogging and the running.
    Regards,
    -k @FitOldDog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger