November 13, 2010

2010 Rockledge Rumble 15K Race Report

I have posted an updated list of my milestones races.

I am pleased to announce that I completed my first milestone race, the Rockledge Rumble 15K. Before I get into the race report I wanted to thank Tom Krull (the race director) for organizing such a well run event, and also all the volunteers that made it possible. Even more so, I want to thank America's Veterans, for which this event honors.

Here's a video from rockcrawler23 that shows the 15K race. After watching, scroll down for my race report.



I'm not really sure how to write a race report, so I will just ramble on for a bit about my experience today.
I awoke around 5:00 am and sipped some coffee while I checked email and poked around online. I dressed and headed out the door around 6:30 am and arrived at Rockledge Park about 15 minutes later. The sun was just starting to come up and I could see many people milling about.

I found the tables for race packet pickup and gave them my name. The person behind the check-off sheet called out "Thirteen." Oh no... I hope that isn't my race numbers. I've had a hard time getting here and the last thing I need is an unlucky number! But sure enough, that was my bib number... thirteen.

My bib number at the 2010 Rockledge Rumble.
As I walked back to the Jeep I wasn't sure if I should put it on or run for the hills! But as I thought about it I realized that today was the 13th, and I had taken about 13 weeks to train for this event. Maybe this was lucky number thirteen, at least for me today. I don't know about that. But what I did know is that I worked hard to get here and I wasn't leaving until I finished the race.

The temperature was very cold, somewhere in the mid 40's I think. I sat in the Jeep with the heater on until it was time for the opening remarks and prayer. Soon after, the 50K runners collected at the top of the hill and waited for the start. I couldn't help wondering what they might have been thinking. They were about to start a race that would take the best of them at least 5 hours, and others a long as 7 or 8 hours. I wanted to be in that group. My time will come--just not this year.

The 50K runners leave the starting line at the 2010 Rockledge Rumble.
After they left I returned to my Jeep for about another 15 minutes. Then, got out and started jogging around the parking lot to warm up. Did I mentioned it was really cold? I jogged until about 5 minutes before the 15K started. Then I quickly took off my warm-up clothes and put on my hydration pack. Finally, I took my place at the back of the 15K starters pack.

Back of the 15K starters pack, seconds before the start of the race.
My strategy was simple. I wanted to complete the 15K (well, closer to 10 miles) in under 2 hours. I figured if I maintained a 12 mpm pace, I'd get in just under the wire. So that was my plan. I also figured that many people would run faster than my pace, so I decided to start at the back of the pack. I didn't want to feel like I was in anyone's way or that I was holding up any of the other runners. I was also concerned about getting caught up in the excitement at a pace that was faster than I had planned--a sure recipe for another calf muscle injury.

So off we went. I focused intently during the first half mile at the pace on my watch. I kept speeding up or slowing down slightly to ensure I stayed right around the 12 mpm pace. I discovered rather quickly that some were running faster than my pace and others were slower (maybe I should have been a rocket scientist?). We had to run about a half mile of pavement before we reached the actual trail, so the group was spread out nicely by the time we reached the single track of the Northshore Trail.

Everything was working to plan. I was going well at keeping my pace. I kept saying to myself, keep it slow. Nice and easy. No injuries today. Slow running is better than no running. I was quite happy with how things were working out until about 1 mile into the race. Then, I encountered something that I didn't think of...

Traffic!


No, not that kind of traffic. I'm talking about other runners!

The people in front of me seemed to have bunched up. We slowed to a walk. I don't know if there was someone in front that had fallen or was running slower now that we were on the trail, but the runners in front of me were clearly slowing. As I peeked at my watch I could see my average pace starting to decline. 12:10, 12:20... and the pace didn't seem to be getting any better.

I decided to make my move (lol... like I have a "move"). Instead of thinking slow, slow, slow, I started saying, excuse me... passing on the left... can I squeak by please... and thank you, thank you, thank you. Everybody was so nice. They would move off to the side so I could zip on by. Nobody seemed offended by it. Nobody seemed to care. They were just out there doing their own thing and loving every moment of it, as was I.

I decided to pass as many runners as I needed to get back to my target pace. So much for slow, slow, slow! After about 5 minutes I had worked my way to the front of the pack and had nothing but open trail in front of me. I ran for a while at a comfortable pace until I came up on another small group. I looked down at my watch and I had made up the lost time... I was now just under the 12 mpm pace. So I decided to settle in behind the group and just move at their pace.

As we ran I noticed my average pace continuing to improve. So I just kept running with the pack. The pace felt good to me and I liked having the group in front to keep me from trying to run faster. All of my previous calf injuries had been the result of going faster than my legs can handle.

Almost near the half way point, most of the group had dropped off for one reason or another. One person fell. Another stopped to take a phone call (really?). Yet another stopped to tie her shoe. By about mile 4 the pack had dwindled to just me and another runner (is that still considered a pack?). She was maintaining the same pace so I continued to follow.

The turnaround point for the 15K was at the water fountain at the Murrell Park guard shack. I didn't stop at the aid station (except to take a quick picture) but just made the turnaround and kept going. I continued to follow the runner in front. We had made the turn at about 56 minutes, slightly ahead of the pace I needed to finish within my 2 hour time goal.

Aid station at Murrell Park, the 15K turnaround. 
As we went further, we saw fewer and fewer runners. Another runner came up behind us and after about a half mile passed us by. I decided it was time to pick up my pace. If my numbers were right I only had about 3 miles left to go and I was feeling GREAT! My legs felt strong. My lungs were doing fine. My face was getting a little tired from the stupid grin I had on the whole way! But other than that... I was having a ball.

I passed the runner in front of me and tucked in behind the runner that had passed us moments earlier. She was definitely running at a faster pace. I decided I would stick with her to the end. And that's what I did.

The Trail Jogger nearing the finish line.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Rockledge Rumble, the finishing line is at the top of a fairly steep set of stairs. I had heard some people earlier expressing concerns about climbing the stars with tired legs. But that wasn't a concern for me. I felt strong (I suspect its a bigger deal for the 50K runners!).

As I approached the last portion of the run I could see my wife and kids standing near the bottom of the stairs. Before going up the stairs I stopped and reached out my hand to my daughter, asking her to run with me the last few steps of the race. But she declined. She is the shy type and didn't want people starring at her!

So off I went up the stairs and arrived at the top, still full of energy, and still with that stupid grin on my face!

The Trail Jogger arriving at the top of the stairs.
One of the volunteers placed a finisher's medallion around my neck and another handed me a bottle of water. That was it. I was done. I had completed my first milestone race, without injuring myself, and within the time goal that I had set. And my family was there to cheer me on at the finish line. Does it get any better?

2010 Rockledge Rumble finishers medallion. 
So now what?

I plan to take a couple of rest days and then begin training for my next race, the Cross Timbers Half Marathon. From what I've been told, the Cross Timbers trail is the "toughest little trail in Texas." We'll just have to see about that!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats Thomas!! Great run!! I knew you would do well after our run at Northshore a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your race report. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on completing your first race! many many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Thomas! Nothing like having your family at the finish line to cheer you in. Love the medallion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the race! It was perfect weather yesterday out there, just a gorgeous day.
    I ran Cross Timbers last year and agree with their slogan..it's definitely "the toughest little trail race in Texas!" Very tough race but SO much fun. You are gonna love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Thomas,

    Just poking around your blog more ...great race report!

    After you lose the rest of that weight you'll be even more blazingly fast!

    -p

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude....Crosstimbers make rockledge look like a kindergarten class...and you will love every minute of it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. indeed... inspiring post. congrats

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger