November 14, 2010

Updated Milestone Trail Races


I have posted an updated version of my milestone races.

In my first post I identified three goals that I plan to achieve over three years (my Three In Three Challenge). The third goal is to complete an ultramarathon. In July 2010, I broke down my ultramarathon goal into a series of milestones races, including a 15K in 2010, a 30K in 2011, and a 50K in 2012. I have now completed my first milestone race, the Rockledge Rumble 15K. The race was a BLAST!

As I write this post the day after running my first milestone race, I am realizing that my fitness level has improved at a much faster pace than I had anticipated. As a result, I think I can cut almost a year out of the process and shoot for the Rockledge Rumble 50K at the end of 2011.

With that in mind, I have decided on the following milestone trail races and distance goals for 2011.
  1. Feb 2011--Cross Timbers Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
  2. May 2011--The Ranch 30K (18.6 miles)
  3. Aug 2011--Full Marathon (26.2 miles, location TBD)
  4. Nov 2011--Rockledge Rumble 50K (31 miles)
    (my ultramarathon goal race!)
Now that I have my milestones set, I need to shift focus to developing training plans for each of the races. The combination of training plans will become my 2011 Annual Training Plan.

I need to ensure that the plan is well balanced, helps me build the mileage and endurance needed to comfortably complete each race, and allows for proper rest and recovery between each race.

If you have suggestions, please leave me a comment!

4 comments:

  1. you put together one tough set of milestones. It will be difficult to keep injury free (I'm just sayen, it if were me). Just wondering why you didn't include full marathon in milestones? That way there's less of a jump into the 50k. You go from 30k to 50k, which is about a 13 mile jump in distance. Marathon to 50k is about 6. don't mean to be critical, i think you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, good question about the jump from 30K to 50K. Those distances were just at Rockledge Rumble. I also included a half marathon and full marathon at Cross Timbers in my original list of milestones. So, nothing has changed as far as the distance steps; only the time frame has changed. Hope that clarifies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Trail Jogger!

    Looks like you and I have more or less the same idea. My plan is to do my first multi-day endurance race before the end of 2012, without having to skimp on the food and the drink.

    You can have a look at my endeavours at http://foodandsweatandbeers.com

    Good luck!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger