July 26, 2010

Breaking Down My Ultramarathon Goal

I've posted an updated version of my milestones.

In my introduction I identified three goals that I plan to achieve over the next three years. The third goal is to complete an ultramarathon. Obviously, I can't just step out my door and run one. I must train for it and get my body (and mind) into the proper shape. Fortunately, I am a project manager by trade. So I am used to breaking down large objectives into smaller, more achievable steps. There isn't any reason why I shouldn't also treat this like a project.

Therefore, I've decided to set some milestones on my way to running my first ultramarathon. I am going to pick two races per year, each with a progressively longer distance, and then break down each race into the training needed for that specific race. I've also decided that I should run my races close to home so I do not complicate the process by adding travel and additional expense. With that in mind, I plan to use two yearly races to achieve my milestones: The Rockledge Rumble and the Cross Timbers Trail Run.

The Rockledge Rumble is held on my home trail, the Northshore Trail. It is held in November each year and offers distances of 15K, 30K, and 50K. The Cross-Timbers is held in February and offers a half and full marathon and a 50 miler. So, combining these two I can increase my event distances until I hit my ultra goal. Here's my milestones.
  1. Nov 2010--Rockledge 09.3 mile trail race (15K)
  2. Feb 2011--Cross Timbers 13.2 mile trail race (half-marathon)
  3. Nov 2011--Rockledge 18.6 mile trail race (30K)
  4. Feb 2012--Cross Timbers 26.2 mile trail race (full marathon)
  5. Nov 2012--Rockledge 31.1 mile trail race (50K first ultramarathon)
With these milestones I will achieve my ultramarathon goal at my home trail two months before my deadline. Maybe if I am up to it I will then run the 50 mile race at the Cross Timbers in February 2013. But let's first focus on the Rockledge race in November. 

I have about four months before the Rockledge 15K in November. So next step for me is to develop my training plan and to get busy doing it! I will probably use a half-marathon training program for the 15K, and maybe just dial back the long runs a bit. Will post my training plan once I've nailed it down.

If you have any thoughts on this approach, please post a comment!

Here's a video from the Rockledge Rumble:


5 comments:

  1. This is a great approach, breaking it down one race at a time. Just make sure you take the time to build a proper base before training for your first race. You don't want to develop injuries before you get going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, I am glad to realize the build-up it takes to run in this races. I coach runners and they do not want to out the time and effort into their training. Good Luck! @crazylegs121

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that you have set out a reasonable and approachable system of races to accomplish with the build up of mileage. Do you have a good base now to train for the 15k coming up? I would say that even if not, it is definitely walkable (doable). Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charge it brother. Believe and yourself and just do it.

    I really dug the post.

    Rock on, bro. Hammer it!

    Christian
    http://run100miles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christian. I follow your blog. Hope to boast my own 100 miler some day! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger