November 20, 2010

Strength Training for Endurance (W2D1)

Per my training plan, yesterday I started (resumed) strength training for endurance. I am following a 12 week beginner strength and conditioning program intended to work the lower body, core, and upper body. I started the program during my last training round but stopped after the first three weeks.

The focus yesterday was on the lower body and included exercises such as the dumbell squat, bench step ups, and dumbell dead lift. I increased the weight used on each exercise from the last time I did this circuit. The goal is to increase the weight each lap so that you find the point of exhaustion, where you can't complete the full number of reps. In theory, if you exhaust the muscles in this way, they build back stronger.

After the lower body exercises the focus shifted to some upper body and finished with some core work including glute bridges, superman, and some ab crunches.

I will say the workout was good. And as I write this the next morning, I am a little sore. But I know the soreness is a good thing. It means that I stressed my body and that it will repair itself stronger than it was.

I need to stay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger