November 6, 2010

Jogging The Dog(s)

I started jogging again today. My calf muscle was feeling OK this morning. No pain, but very stiff. So I decided to stay off the trails and just go for a run with the dogs around the neighborhood.

I started with Tucker, our Labradoodle, and ran the first lap. Tucker is the dog that I've taken on the trail recently. He tends to want to go a little faster than Mazie, our Goldendoodle. I probably should have started in the other order so I could get my slower jog in with Mazie and then pick up the pace a little with Tucker. But it worked out OK.


We went almost 7 miles (3.4 per lap per dog) at a nice easy average pace of about 13.3 mpm. On this run I reverted back to my "normal" heel strike. I know the heel strike puts less pressure on the calf muscle.

After my run I elevated my legs for about 10 minutes, took a quick shower, and then soaked my calf muscles in the pool for about 20 minutes. The pool is cold not that the temperature has dropped here in North Texas. Then I wrapped my right calf muscle with a compression bandage and went on with my day.

As I write this a few hours after my run, my calf muscle is sore, but not hurting. I am planning to run the trail tomorrow but I will make that decision in the morning. Right now I am thinking another rest day might be prudent instead of pushing it and maybe creating more problems.

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you ice that as well. It'll makes huge difference. Ice a few times a day. smart to take it easy and not make it any worse. God luck and hang in there. It sucks when the heart wants to go, but the body is holding you back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger