November 11, 2010

I'm Ready To Rumble

My first milestone race--the Rockledge Rumble--is just two days away. I went for my last tapering run yesterday and I felt great. No calf muscle problems. My legs felt strong and rested. My lungs are good. And my brain is very excited about participating in the first race since I started my Three In Three Challenge. I have successfully completed my training and I feel like I am ready.
My plan for the race is simple. Keep it slow! I am not going to "race" the race, but instead, just jog it at a nice easy 13 mpm pace. I am not trying to break any records or finish first in my age group or anything other than complete the race without hurting myself!

At this point I have no concerns over the distance. I have been running further than the 15K course distance on my last few long runs. So I am looking at this as another training run, not as a race. I think the difficult part will be the discipline needed to stay at my planned pace instead of getting caught up in the event and "competing" with others.

I am actually rather excited about the race, not really for the race itself, but because of the achievement of the milestone, which marks progression toward my ultramarathon goal. I am already thinking about my next race. But I won't get into that right now. I know I need to stay focused on Saturday.

Will post a race report with some pictures after the race.

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck this weekend!Looking at it as a training is a very good strategy. That always seems to help me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I think you have a perfect strategy. It's a hard one to stick to because of the adreniline, and also all the other people running around you makes it difficult not to kick up the pace. I say not getting injured and having fun are extremely important! My main goal in racing is to cross the finish line SMILING. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a fantastic race this weekend and congratulations on achieving a milestone! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am running the race this weekend as well. I have never run Northshore. With rain forecasted would you wear old shoes or newer ones and just wash them and, of course depending on the amount of rain will it be fairly muddy or is it a rocky course? Good Luck and Thanks, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger