November 30, 2010

Sore Knees and Ankles

Update: I've solved my injury problems--see ChiRunning technique

I was able to get out for a trail run today, first since my 20-miler over the weekend. Yesterday my knees and ankles were sore--not injury sore, but just generally sore. I could feel it mostly when walking up or down stairs. My arms on the inside of my elbows (not sure what that part is called--you know, where the doctor takes blood) were also sore. I suspect these are areas I need to target for strength training. However, once I started running, the soreness went away.
I've long heard the virtues of ice baths (and many other recovery methods) after long runs. However, I've also been reading information about how some of the things we do to speed recovery might actually short change our body's natural recovery process. For now, I am going to focus on allowing my body to do its thing. I realize that probably means I will have more discomfort during recovery, but I am hoping my body builds stronger as a result. Maybe that's a mistake, but I won't know unless I give it a shot.

Somewhere along the Northshore Trail

I was actually a little surprised that my calf muscles didn't bother me yesterday. Instead, they felt really good. Rock solid and strong. I did pay close attention to my running on Sunday so as not to injure them. Regardless, I am still pleased that they held up over the distance.

However, today was a different story. My calf muscles, more so on the right, had their fill of running. Once again I was pushing it a little bit up the inclines (I've stopped calling them hills). About four miles into the run I started to feel a little discomfort in my right calf muscle. So I slowed my pace and went back to taking it easy on the inclines.

An example of an incline on the Northshore Trail.

Once again I find that my will and desire have advanced beyond my body's ability. I know over time my body will improve. I just need to have the patience to allow it to happen.

Planning to run tomorrow. But will take it real easy and stick to the flats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger