December 2, 2010

Rest and Recovery

I think my weekend 20-miler took more out of me than I originally though. I felt pretty good until my run on Tuesday. Then, my calf muscle started bothering me again. So I decided to back off the running until I recover.

Yesterday I went for a mountain bike ride. I know from past experience that mountain biking doesn't bother my calf muscles. I planned to ride again today, but I am tired. I've been working some strange hours on a project overseas, so that might be a factor. But more likely I am still recovering from my run and need more rest.


This week I've been thinking a lot about one of my favorite quotes:

"Without patience, you will never conquer endurance."
Yiannis Kouros

I think my body is trying to teach me patience this week. I've mentioned previously that my will and desire have advanced beyond my body's ability to perform. I've tried to push my body into shape. But I am slowly realizing that fitness comes over time and that I need to be patient and let the process work. I am still a year away from my first ultramarathon. No reason to push it now and just hurt myself further.

So I am going to try to stick to my training plan and give my body the time it needs to do its thing.

I find it strange that the hardest part of physical endurance is the mental discipline needed to achieve it. I gotta get my head in the game!

8 comments:

  1. Rest & Recovery is good, good, good. Great quote. Been looking at your trail links as I will be in Texas soon. Everything seems a bit far (I'll be about an hour south of Dallas), so it looks like I'll be running those long flat lonely dirt roads (which I love too). Looking forward to big skies, and the friendly people who don't think you're a total freak for doing your own thing : ) Good luck with your rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren--if you are going to be an hour south of Dallas, you might want to check out Cameron Park in Waco. If that's not the area you'll be in, let me know and I will find a closer trail for you. Hope you enjoy Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband proposed to me in Cameron Park :-) It's been many years since we've been back though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just remember - it's not the working out that makes us stronger, fitter, faster. It's the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn, good timing on the comment about recovery. I really needed to hear that. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Off topic, but thanks for your encouragement for my buddy, Duncan.

    Really appreciate it!

    http://www.johnnylaird.net/2010/12/%E2%80%98red-light-run%E2%80%99-ultramarathon-challenge/

    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation -- looks like a great park. But I think it's still a little far. We'll be in Stephenville. I'll probably work on long, long runs and alternate it with speed work on vacation in the great state of Tx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren--if you are going to be in Stephenville, Texas, one of the closest trails is the Cedar Brake Trail in Dinosaur Valley State Park. While there, check out the REAL dinosaur tracks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger