December 17, 2010

Footprints In The Sand

I practiced ChiRunning technique on my last two runs, about four miles on Wednesday and about three miles yesterday. On these runs I headed for the "hilly" part of the Northshore Trail, northwest of MADD on Wednesday and south of Far Gate on Thursday. I was concerned that the inclines would bother my calf muscles like so many times in the past. But I had no problems on these two runs. None. My legs felt pain free for the first time in months! Actually, I've had no problems since I started practicing the ChiRunning technique!

I did an out and back on my run yesterday. During the return portion of my run I came across a short section of sand that I had run through on the out portion. As I approached the sand, I remembered a section in the ChiRunning book about running in sand. Basically, Danny Dreyer uses your footprints in the sand to teach you a light midfoot strike. You shouldn't see any small craters at the heel or at the toe (if you do, you are either heel striking or pushing off with your toe, both no-no's). As I approached the sand I stopped to examine my footprints. They looked like this...

My footprints in the sand.
Perfect!

I examined each of them. With the exception of the spot where I jumped off a rock and first landed in the sand, they were all very similar to the one pictured above. No craters at the heel or toe. Perfect midfoot strike!

I intend to run long on the weekend. I haven't decided how far yet. But it will be long enough to test my legs. If I am able to get through my long run without any calf muscle issues, I think I will become a fully converted ChiRunning believer!

Watch for an update on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Good work on the stride, the impression looks darn near perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger