December 26, 2010

L-Five Trail Run Report (11 Miles)

My long run was once again FANTASTIC!

I had no issues, with the exception of a stubbed toe about a quarter mile from the end of my run. Dough! I continue to practice ChiRunning with great success. I think I am finally ready to start increasing my training volume.

One of many beautiful spots along the Northshore Trail.
Length: 10.8 miles in 2 hours 18 minutes

My training plan called for a ten mile run today. I've learned from previous experience that I need to stick with the plan and to slowly build my weekly mileage. I realize now that I can not build endurance without patience (Yiannis Kouros).

My wife dropped me off at Rockledge Park and picked me up at Far Gate so I could run the full length of the Northshore Trail.

When I arrived at the guard shack at Rockledge Park the attendant wouldn't let me walk through without paying a "pedestrian fee." I've never had to pay to walk in previously. I didn't have any cash on me, so I back-tracked up the road a bit and cut into the field by the trail, then used the access path in the back of the field to get to the trail. No problem. Off and running.

A few miles in I came across a box attached to a tree. In the box was a log book for people to record their visit to the trail and to leave messages for other people. I haven't seen this before, but I don't think I've been back on this part of the trail since I ran the Rockledge Rumble. I left a brief message in the log book.



I struggled to keep my pace slow. I just really felt like opening it up. But I know I need to keep these runs slow and that I will need this gear when I run my first ultra. So practice, practice, practice!

Limbs: Excellent, almost!

I continue to practice my ChiRunning technique with great success. No issues with my feet, ankles, calf muscles, knees, or anything else for that matter (except my toe--keep reading). I am a true ChiRunning believer!

Only one problem. About a quarter mile from the end of my run I stubbed my toe on a rock. DOUGH! As I write this the next day, my toe hurts and it is turning black around the area where my toe joins with my foot. I was planning to go for a short run today with a friend but thought it wise to cancel. So instead, I am sitting at my computer writing this with my foot in a bowl of ice water! BURRRRRR. That's what I get for not paying attention!


Lungs: Excellent

As I wrote last week, I am still impressed with the way my lungs have healed from quitting smoking. I am no longer coughing during my runs. I still think the cooler weather is helping with my breathing. But I also realize losing the excess weight and just a general improvement in my fitness also helps. As was the case last week, I didn't feel like I was out of breath at any point during the run. It's all good.

Laughs: Excellent


Not really much to report here. My mental attitude is good. I am loving my runs. I can hardly wait to get out there each time and don't want to leave when I'm done, all good mental indications that I am not overtraining.

If anything, the area I still struggle with is leaving the trail. When I reached Far Gate I really felt like continuing to run, but I know I need to stick with my plan so that I do not overdo it. I know the longer runs will come. I just need to have the patience to wait for my body to catch up with my will and desire.

About a mile from Far Gate.
Learning: ChiRunning Technique

I am still focusing on practicing the ChiRunning technique. Once again, I focused on my mid-foot strike, tried to keep my cadence up, and ran smooth and light. This stuff really works!

Next Week:


The following outlines my training plan for next week:
  • Monday: Rest
  • Tuesday: 3 miles
  • Wednesday: 6 miles
  • Thursday: 3 miles
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Hill Work
  • Sunday: 12 miles
Onward!

2 comments:

  1. Great that the smoking effects are a thing of the past. Thank goodness for the resilience of the human body!

    The trail running there looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger