December 12, 2010

Drinking The ChiRunning Kool-Aid

I have been plagued with calf muscle injuries. If I am going to achieve my ultramarathon goal, I realize that something needs to change, and I'm working on it. 

Danny Dreyer
ChiRunning Founder
I took a week off of running to heal from my latest calf muscle strain. During that time I researched running techniques and decided to try the ChiRunning method. The author promises an effortless, injury-free running experience. Sounds good to me. So I read the ChiRunning book front to back. 

After reading the book, on Thursday I went for a short half-mile practice run on the treadmill. I also video taped myself running so that I could analyze my form. The video taping was a good idea. I was able to quickly spot a few flaws in my form, including running with my head too far forward. Otherwise, I found the ChiRunning technique fairly simple to emulate.

On Friday I did another practice run on the treadmill, this time for about 1.5 miles. I ran barefoot so that I could better feel my feet hitting the ground (treadmill). I was trying to focus on my foot strike to ensure I was landing mid-foot. I found the mid-foot strike rather natural once I aligned my body properly and shortened my stride.

Today I returned to the Northshore Trail for a short ChiRunning test. Before I started running, I warmed up for about 5 minutes. I also keep my pace slow. During the run I decided to focus on three areas:

First, I kept my cadence at the recommended speed, much faster than I am used to moving my legs. This had the effect of shortening my stride, which put less strain on my calf muscles.

Second, I concentrated on landing on my mid-foot as gently and as lightly as possible. I tried to keep my foot strike under me or slightly behind my hips. I also avoided pushing off with my toes. These changes also reduced the strain on my calf muscles.

Third, I tried to ensure I was keeping my body properly aligned (head, shoulders, hips, feet), and standing tall with a slight lean forward. I found whenever I checked in with my body, something was out of line somewhere, so I corrected it and kept running. 

I am happy to report that my calf muscles did not bother me, on any of my last three test runs. As a matter of face, they actually felt better after my run today than they did before. I think that might be because I worked out some of the stiffness during my run. I also did the hot tub thing after my run, which I also think helped to work out the stiffness. 

So does ChiRunning work? 

Well, I think it's too soon for me to say that I am a believer. Why wouldn't I become a ChiRunning evangelist after my successful run today? Because I changed a bunch of stuff today. I warmed up before I started into my run. I ran at a slower pace. I stayed off my toes on the inclines. And I treated my legs with a hot bath after the run. Add to that the specific ChiRunning techniques I focused on today--the mid-foot strike, better aligned posture, and a faster cadence--and who knows which of these actually helped with my run today. All I know for sure is that it worked! 

I need more runs and more time to work on this before I am sold on drinking the ChiRunning kool-aid. But I will say at this point, its tasting pretty good!

See more posts on ChiRunning.

5 comments:

  1. Good experiments.. Everybody is a bit different and you never know what works for you unless you try stuff.

    I too need to do slow jogging/warm up to loosen calf tightness before going fast. For me it's about 3-4 min.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds promising to me, best thing is no pain. You mentioned warm-ups, do you do cool-downs? I spend an awful amount of time cooling down and stretching. If I'm in a rush 15 minutes, but if not, I can put in 30 minutes. It seems like that has helped reduce my injury rate as well.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thomas, thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment. I borrowed a book about Chi Running but never get to read it. Probably borrow it again from the library...:-)

    Keep running...:-)

    Crestina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you, Thomas. Same soreness, same approach. I'm excited to do some running this week, but it'll probably be on a dreadmill. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next time you are due for new running shoes you should consider something with less raised heel. A big fat heel may make it harder to practice ChiRunning and other midfoot running styles. New Balance Minimus (Road and Trail) are available now, as are a bunch of other shoes with less heel lift. Altra Running will be releasing the Lone Peak trail shoe soon. If you want to stick with Asics, the Hyperspeed and Piranha racing flats seem to work for a lot of people (yeah, even on trails). Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger