February 22, 2011

The Ranch 30K Training Plan

Note: On April 18th, 2011 I abandoned this training program due to an ankle injury. I decided to skip The Ranch 30K milestone race and am now training for my first 50K

For my next milestone race, I plan to run The Ranch 30K trail race. As I have done with my previous milestone races, I will train for the next furthest milestone distance (the marathon) so that when I toe the line at this milestone race I am fully prepared to go the distance.

After reviewing numerous marathon training plans I have decided to follow Hal Higdon's Intermediate-I Marathon Plan. Since my race is on May 15th, 2011, I will need to start at Week 7 of the plan in order to complete by the race date. I am very comfortable with the mileage starting in Week 7, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Click image for larger version.

This plan differs in one major from my previous two training cycles with the addition of a Saturday run. I will still do my long run on Sunday, but I will also add a shorter run on Saturday. This will help to increase my total weekly mileage without having to increase my long runs beyond 20 miles.

In addition, I changed the long run on Week 15 from 20 miles to 24 miles (yellow). During my first training cycle my goal was to be able to run the distance from the MADD shelter on the Northshore Trail to Far Gate and back, a distance of about eight miles. During cycle two my goal was to run it twice, which I did successfully. On this training cycle I want to run it three times. And on my next cycle, the last cycle before completing my first ultramarathon, I will run it four times.

Monday is scheduled as a cross-training day. However, I plan to take Monday as a rest day unless I am feeling really good or want to burn off some extra energy. Otherwise I plan to follow the program as outlined.

Here we go again!

What plan do you use for your marathon training?

2 comments:

  1. For the Loch Ness marathon last year I spun my own training plan. I did research and read lots so it wasn't just a stab in the dark. It was very similar to the above with Monday and Thursdays as rest days. Wednesday is speed session with Tuesday and Thursday as easy runs. Saturdays a faster pace/tempo run and the login run on Sundays. I don't worry about going over the 20mile limit and did some 25+ runs. I'm guilty of being a bit of a mileage junkie and did have several weeks that topped out at 70 and one 80 mile week.

    I'll been keeping an eye on how you change your programme to suit running a ultra as I've just signed up for my first one which take place on August 20th

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thomas,

    I love Hal Higdon as a starting point. I found that in order to get faster, sprints and hills work really well. I also add a session of yoga once a week to keep my joints loose and allow myself to sub a short (Tuesday or Thursday) run for a bike ride or a hike to keep from getting bored.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger