February 6, 2011

L-Five Trail Run Report (16 Miles)

Today was my last long run before starting into a two week taper. Although my legs were a little tired by the end of the run, I otherwise felt great.

I am definitely ready for my upcoming milestone race. I took a drive up on Saturday to look over the course. But I decided not to run it because the ice and show had not yet melted. I will run it blind on race day.

Some snow on parts of the Northshore Trail.
Length: 16.03 miles in 3 hours 29 minutes (13:05 pace)

I haven't been able to run on the trail since last weekend due to the recent snow and ice storm in north Texas. I did my last three mid-week runs on the treadmill. Although I was able to get my miles in, I really didn't enjoy them much. But miles on the treadmill are better than no miles.

Today was my last scheduled long run before starting to taper for my upcoming milestone race. I planned to run 16 miles total. I considered running them on the treadmill again but couldn't get past the mental image of a hamster on a wheel. So I decided to hit the trail.

Is it soup yet?
I started later than usual so the sun could melt more of the snow and start to dry up areas of the trail. I'd say about 80% of the trail was just fine. But the other 20% was covered in ice, snow, mud, or water, all fun to run through, over, or around! I had to slow my pace about a minute per mile to accommodate the trail conditions.

I started at the MADD shelter and first headed toward Far Gate. After returning from Far Gate I east to the Boy Scouts trail head and then circled back to MADD. The total run was just over 16 miles.
Limbs: Strong and Solid

I continue to practice my ChiRunning form. Ever since taking up that technique I have been able to run 100% injury-free. My legs felt really good for most of the run, but they started to tire during the last couple of miles.

I didn't take in any gels or special food during this run. So that might have affected how my legs felt. Also, this was my highest mileage week (33 miles) since I started my Three In Three Challenge. With a similar mileage week last week (31 miles), I might have been just tired.

Now that I have started into my taper, this is when my body will repair itself and get stronger. I've put in the miles, now I will reap the rewards!

Wet, wet, and more wet!
Lungs: Excellent

No issues. My lungs are feeling great. I am actually considering changing this to an L-4 report because I don't have much more to say about that!

Laughs: Excellent

On the mental side, I wasn't looking as forward to this run as I normally am. Maybe I am once again brushing up against over training. I am feeling a little tired and I'm not sleeping as well as I usually do. But I haven't lost my appetite (that's for sure!) and I don't think I am any more irritable than normal!

But I'm not worried about it because I am finished with this cycle of training and now I taper and recover. All is good.

Very slippery along this part!
Learning: Patience, patience, patience

I am still struggling a bit with patience. I want to start putting up some big numbers on my long runs. I really wanted to run the Rocky Raccoon race with my fellow North Texas Trail Runners this weekend. But I don't have the endurance for it yet. I know I will get there, I just have to be patient and allow the training to do its thing.

Next Week:

The following outlines my training plan for next week:
  • Monday: Rest
  • Tuesday: 4 miles
  • Wednesday: 6 miles
  • Thursday: 3 miles
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Rest
  • Sunday: 8 miles
Bring on the taper crazies!

Do you go crazy during your tapers? What do you do to deal with the taper crazies?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to my world this past month! Snow, ice, slush and mud has been really challenging!! All the better to make us stronger right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger