February 12, 2011

One Week Until Cross Timbers

I am one week away from finishing my second milestone race, the Cross Timbers Half Marathon. This race will be the second milestone race that I complete along the way to achieving my ultramarathon goal. Although I realize I still have a lot of training in front of me, this last round of training has given me the confidence to believe that I will achieve my goal. I am already starting to think beyond my first ultramarathon to other, more ambitious distances--the 50 mile and 100 mile trail races. But first things first.

This is the second time I have used the strategy of training past the race distance. To explain, when I trained for my first milestone race, the Rockledge Rumble 15K, I used a half marathon training program. For my current milestone race, the half marathon, I am using a training problem for a 30K race. My next milestone is a 30K, so I will use a marathon distance training program. And so on and so on...

Somewhere along the Northshore Trail.
Why am I taking this approach? Two reasons. First, I will remind you that I am not training for a 15K or a half marathon or any of those distances. Instead, I am training for the ultramarathon and just using those distances as milestone training cycles along the way. Second, when I toe the line at the milestone race I want 100% confidence that I can go the distance. In actuality, when I run the half next weekend, I am running a shorter distance than I've been running on my normal Sunday runs. The half will be a step back week for me instead of a stretch event like most races are for other people. I don't want to be in a stretch mode--I want to be in a "crushing it" mode. I am definitely ready for my next milestone race!

This week was my first week of a two week taper. I didn't feel well Monday through about Wednesday, so I decided to rest instead of run. I think I developed a bit of a chest cold. But the rest appeared to do me well. I ran slowly on the treadmill on Thursday and it felt pretty good. Friday I hit the trail for a six miler and I felt great. This morning I went for a short three miler and still feel great. So I have rebounded from my cold. Tomorrow I will run about eight miles. Then I rest!

More of the Northshore Trail.
I'm not a big fan of the taper. But I know that by approaching my training this way, I am giving my body the time it needs to rest and to build stronger. I like the approach that I am taking with the milestone races because it allows me to build up from a lower mileage until a couple of weeks before the race, then taper, rest, recover, race, and start over. I am confident these cycles are a good approach for me and will continue with it until I achieve my ultramarathon goal.

Do you use training cycles? If so, how long are they? What do you see as the primary benefit of cycling your training? Any concerns or cautions with training cycles?

4 comments:

  1. I think your plan is exactly right.

    Benefits of cycles are that you can peak to a higher level of training and not break ;)

    Given you are heading for your 50 miler, it seems reasonable to train for N using plan N+1.

    But if you actually want to do your best for some of the earlier races that would probable not the best way to go...your peak won't be quite as good.

    But frankly everybody is different and part of the fun is finding out what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contact Brett (from zenandtheartoftriathlon podcast). He's from Texas and has just run the Rocky Raccoon 100. Nutrition is so important and he could help you. He's also on Twitter @zentriathlon. Good luck,

    Simon, aka alterrain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really answering your question . . . but I hate tapering. Most people I know start tapering 2 to 4 weeks before the race. I decided a while ago, to take it easy mileage-wise just the week of the race. But then again, I'm no champion runner. Still the anxiety I go through during a long taper is worth not having. I felt plenty rested during my last race with only one week "taper."

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger