February 2, 2011

It's Different This Time

I was a little apprehensive about how I would feel this week after my 17 mile long run on the weekend. The last time I ran that far I felt great immediately after my run. But I paid for it dearly for more than a week. Both my knees and my ankles were very sore. My arms were sore. My calf muscles were sore. I was really tired. I had to stop running for a while to recover.

It's different this time.

Yes, my legs were a little tired on Monday, but no pain and no stiffness. None what so ever! My arms were fine. Actually, I felt really good. When I ran my four miler yesterday on the treadmill I had lots of energy. No issues.

Today I ran eight miles on the treadmill (still too fricken cold to go outside!). I felt so good during and after the run that, as I sit here writing this, I feel like going another eight! I'm ready. I'm pumped. Bring on my next race!

Tomorrow I am scheduled for another four miles. My legs feel rock solid and STRONG. I feel like SUPERMAN!!!!

This weekend I plan to go up to Cross Timbers and run the half marathon course as a training run. I am not going to worry about my time, but just focus on getting to know the course and take a few pictures along the way.

I've heard a lot of talk about how tough the course is (toughest little trail in Texas). I have been focusing my training runs on the most technical portion of the Northshore trail. So as far as footing and coordination goes, I'm very comfortable with the technical stuff now. I'm ready. I'm PUMPED!

How do you get yourself pumped up for a big race?

4 comments:

  1. That is marvelous that you can get out there and learn the trail. I love that, but seldom get to do it. When a big race is coming up, I cannot talk. I mean, I don't talk. If I do talk, I whisper. It annoys the heck out of my family. It's just something I have to do to calm myself down. I aim for calmness for big races, that seems to be the most important thing in success (success as I define it : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're making great improvements! I found that endurolytes are great for stopping cramps and a protein drink immediately after a run/workout will speed up muscle repair and also stop DOMS entirely. Works for me, maybe not for everyone :-)
    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eoin,
    What are endurolytes? I know that taking electrolytes doesn't stop muscle cramps, contrary to popular belief. Here is something that I wrote about it: http://foodandsweatandbeers.com/2011/01/21/the-cramping-myth/

    I totally agree with you on the protein and DOMS. And taking about 25g of high GI carbs directly after a run will help your body to absorb the protein even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nick, Endurolytes come from Hammer Nutrition and can be bought online or from some running/cycling stores. Work for me :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger