February 28, 2011

Week 32: Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Once again I was really happy with my weight loss results for the last week. I dropped another 1.3 lbs bringing me to a total of 33.3 lbs lost, or 67% of my 50 lbs weight loss goal. Why? Because I ate less than I burned. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it?! I have found that the key to weight loss for me is to keep track of what I am eating and to stop when I reach my allocated amounts. It works!

I've also made a couple more changes to my diet. Two weeks ago I increased the amount of fruits and vegetables in my diet. Last week I changed the percentage of carbs to protein/fat from 70/30 to 60/40. I think I need a little more protein in my diet to help with recovery. I'll see if 60/40 is enough carbs to fuel my runs and to continue to give me energy. If I start to feel tired, I will switch back to 70/30 or maybe try 65/35.

I've also been looking for ways to add more Omega-3 Fatty Acids to my diet. My wife doesn't do the fish thing, so I don't get to eat much fish at home. When I travel on business I usually seek out a nice plate of salmon, but that doesn't happen much. So I am trying to work salmon into my diet a couple of times per week to start getting some Omega-3.

I've also been playing around with some supplements. I purchased some wild salmon oil supplements and started taking them about a week ago. However, since then I've read some concerns about PCBs in some supplements. In addition, I was getting a bad aftertaste with the one I was taking.

So I decided to switch to a non-fish Omega-3 supplement. After some research I settled on Udo's Oil 3-6-9 Blend, a "blend of oils from certified organic flax, sunflower, and sesame seed, and from evening primrose oil and the bran of rice and oats" (description on Amazon). I am only on day two of taking this product so I can't speak to any immediate changes. However, it does not have the bad aftertaste that I experienced with the salmon oil supplements. As a result, I like it better.

I am sure there are many other ways to go about this. How do you get your Omega-3 fatty acids?

Weight Loss Summary
  • Week 01: Lost 4.0 lbs
  • Week 02: Lost 3.1 lbs, 07.0 lbs total, 3.5 lbs per week
  • Week 03: Lost 2.6 lbs, 09.7 lbs total, 3.2 lbs per week
  • Week 04: Lost 2.0 lbs, 11.7 lbs total, 2.9 lbs per week
  • Week 05: Lost 1.6 lbs, 13.3 lbs total, 2.7 lbs per week
  • Week 06: Lost 1.5 lbs, 14.8 lbs total, 2.5 lbs per week
  • Week 07: Gained 0.4 lbs, 14.4 lbs total lost, 2.1 lbs per week
  • Week 08: Lost 3.1 lbs, 17.5 lbs total, 2.2 lbs per week
  • Week 09: Lost 2.2 lbs, 19.7 lbs total, 2.2 lbs per week
  • Week 10: Gained 0.9 lbs, 18.8 lbs total lost, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 11: Lost 3.5 lbs, 22.3 lbs total, 2.0 lbs per week
  • Week 12: Lost 2.2 lbs, 24.5 lbs total, 2.0 lbs per week
  • Week 13: Lost 0.2 lbs, 24.7 lbs total, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 14: Lost 1.9 lbs, 26.6 lbs total, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 15: Lost 0.6 lbs, 27.2 lbs total, 1.8 lbs per week
  • Week 16Gained 0.5 lbs, 26.7 lbs total lost, 1.7 lbs per week
  • Week 17Gained 2.0 lbs, 24.7 lbs total lost, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 18: Lost 3.3 lbs, 28.0 lbs total, 1.6 lbs per week
  • Week 19: Lost 0.3 lbs, 28.3 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 20: Lost 1.7 lbs, 30.0 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 21: Lost 1.6 lbs, 31.6 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 22Gained 1.1 lbs, 30.5 lbs total lost, 1.4 lbs per week
  • Week 23: On holiday break, didn't track
  • Week 24: Lost 0.4 lbs, 30.9 lbs total, 1.3 lbs per week
  • Week 25Gained 0.4 lbs, 30.5 lbs total lost, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 26: Lost 2.6 lbs, 33.1 lbs total, 1.3 lbs per week
  • Week 27Gained 2.0 lbs, 31.5 lbs total lost, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 28: Lost 1.8 lbs, 32.9 lbs total, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 29Gained 2.0 lbs, 30.1 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week
  • Week 30: Lost 0.6 lbs, 30.7 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week. 
  • Week 31: Lost 1.3 lbs, 32 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week. 
  • Week 32: Lost 1.3 lbs, 33.3 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week. 

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 33+lbs, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After an exercise 20g proteine is enough to compensate for it and recover. This according to a researcher from Birmingham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I've had good luck keeping my meals smaller (and total calories down) by having many tiny healthy snacks in between (usually nuts or fruit, veggies would be better). But the single biggest thing I've done to speed my weight loss is to stop sitting for 8 hours a day. http://thatlinuxbox.com/blog/article.php/software-to-help-you-live-longer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I'm up to 15lb off since christmas which I am more than pleased with but this year my new thing has been to train more outside, I have a PT instructor that is ex militry and really puts me through my paces even when there was a foot of snow on the ground :) but in the 3 years I have been at the gym to my 3 months outside I have seen a massive difference in my strengh and endurance!! Running is also going well I am happily back up to around 8 miles. I did stop running for a while after doing 3 half marathons in 3 months but the last of which I did ill and it put me off running for a long time!! I like this page! you have done very well and is great to see you are sharing it with the world!!! :D. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your plans. Like the web site and the amount of detailed info. Think of tracking your body fat% ahead of your weight. Its a much more reliable measure of progress made. If not doing this already, then body compostion monitors can be bought for under 100usd. Then you have say 8 bits of data to track your progress, rather than just weight ie body fat %, visceral fat, metabolic age etc. Its losing fat that is the key, not muscle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger