April 5, 2011

Cleared To Run

Yesterday I went to the doctor to get an x-ray taken of my foot. It had been about 10 days since I rolled over on my ankle and my foot was still sore. It wasn't painful by any means, just sore. I wanted to make sure I hadn't fractured a bone or anything like that before resuming my running.

Well the good news is that the x-ray came back clean. No breaks. No fractures. No problem. The doctor thinks it was just a sprain and now that 10 days have passed, I was cleared to do some light jogging on it.

Funny story... the doctor asked me how far I usually ran. I told her about six to eight miles. She said that six to eight miles per week was probably OK as long as I didn't push my pace. I laughed and clarified... that's six to eight miles per day, and fifteen to twenty miles on my Sunday long runs!!! She seemed surprised at that until I told her that my mileage was low compared to serious ultrarunners!

Yes, I realize I've joined a rather twisted sport!

Anyway, with the doctor's blessing I rode my bike to the Northshore trail this morning and went for a little test run. I kept my pace slow and jogged about three miles. Before I went I taped my foot and ankle with RockTape. It was the first time I had used this product. I don't think it looked that great, but it certainly provided the support I needed. I will continue using the RockTape until my ankle has fully recovered.

Ankle wrapped with RockTape.

When I returned home I iced my ankle for about 20 minutes and then resumed my day. As I write this hours later my ankle feels OK, maybe a little bit sore still, but OK. So I plan to go for another run tomorrow. I will keep my mileage low for the next couple of weeks to give my ankle time to heal and strengthen. Then I will revisit my current training plan and determine if I will jump back in or if I will need to pass on my next milestone race.

For now I am just glad I am no longer sidelined. I loved being back out on the trail today, even if it was only for a few miles.

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it was okay! Happy running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I love reactions like that. 3 mile runs just aren't worth the trouble unless it is a taper! Glad your foot is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news from the doctor and glad the tape helps. And blue looks great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it! When i hurt my achilles recently, i told my doctor I was taking it easy -- no more than 3-5 miles at a time, no more than 20 miles a week. "That's taking it easy?" he asked, and I laughed. Just don't let yourself get too excited and do too much too fast: its such a temptation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news that you didn't break anything. Good luck on future training! Last year, both my husband and my oldest son broke a bone in their foot.

    Some doctors are all for my running, others say "women 'my age' shouldn't be doing such dangerous trails." LOL. My sports dr. says "a-okay, but just don't run the downhills." I asked, "How am I supposed to get back?" He looked at me like maybe I was not very smart and said, "Walk."

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. "How am I supposed to get back?"

    That's funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got tendonitis in my ankle for about 3 months and it totally messed up my training for a marathon. It all ended up working out because of a lot of crazy circumstantial stuff but my marathon didn't happen. I'm now training again for my first marathon in November, but it definitely REALLY messed up my confidence. I'm so happy to hear that you aren't letting it stop you. Don't let the small weight gain get you down. You'll get back on track!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger