April 23, 2011

Hydration Error

Today was the first long run of my new 50K training schedule. I was able to get off to a really good start, but it didn't end that way.

I had planned to start my run just before sunrise so that I could get most of the miles in before it got too hot. However, I had some delays getting out the door. So I started about three hours later than planned. It was already 75F and 73% humidity by the time I started.

When I arrived, a group from DORBA was preparing to go out and work on the trail. Thank you DORBA for all you do!

DORBA trail maintenance crew.
My strategy was to run two laps from the MADD shelter along the Northshore Trail to Rockledge Park, about 12 miles per loop. I was scheduled to run 22 miles so planned to cut the last loop short to round off the run at the planned distance. For my hydration and energy needs, I filled my hydration vest with about 70 oz of water and carried eGels and Clif bars. My plan was to alternate taking a gel and bar every three miles.

My strategy didn't work out that well.

About seven miles into the first loop I ran out of water. As as a result I started to get really hot on the last few miles of the first loop. I can remember from when I was trying to learn about my hydration needs that in this temperature and humidity I sweat about 10 oz per mile (see Sweat Test). So for an initial 12 mile loop, I didn't carry enough water with me. I paid the price.

Approaching Rockledge Park

When I arrived back at my bike (I ride my bike to and from the trail for cross-training), I drank for a few minutes and then reloaded my hydration vest pockets with more water, gels, and bars. Then I hit the trail again.

But the damage was done. Now the temperature had risen to about 82F with 85% humidity and I couldn't seem to cool myself down. I started to get a little bit of a headache. So about three miles into my second loop I turned around and headed back to the MADD shelter, hopped on my bike and went home.

I felt good about the run but was a little disappointed that I did not to finish it. In hindsight, I think it was the right decision.

My feet after taking off my socks after my trail run!
My son thought this was rather funny!

Note to self... make sure I carry enough water to go the distance, or adjust my distance based on the amount of water I am carrying.

Tomorrow I am scheduled for a 10 mile recovery run. That almost seems funny to me... 10 miles for a recovery run. I've definitely come a long way!

3 comments:

  1. I really don't think hydration, or at least hydration during the run was your problem. You do NOT want to replace oz for oz on your runs and races. That would be dangerous and lead to hyponatremia as it is impossible to replace all electrolytes lost during the time of your run. The goal is managed dehydration. How much weight can you lose during a run of this length in the heat? 2 lbs? 3 lbs?

    I think that this is more of an issue with not being use to the heat yet and so maybe running too hard/fast for the heat that you were in. Heat changes everything. If it's below 70 degrees, I don't even bother to bring fluids if my run is 10 miles or less, it's just not necessary. Over 80 degrees, I find it imperative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An article or two to read:

    http://bit.ly/QV5cN

    http://bit.ly/fVUbMh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also question whether you need to consume calories as often as every 3 miles. That seems very excessive to me.

    If you're eating properly outside of training, you should only need to start topping up your glycogen store (which is fed by carbs) after 60-90 minutes and then at roughly 40 minute intervals. So for 22 miles, that would mean taking in carbs once or twice, maybe thrice, during the whole run. You'd be taking in carbs on no less than seven occasions. That's a lot of calories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger