April 3, 2011

Biting The Bullet

It's been a little over a week since I rolled over on my ankle during a run at the Northshore Trail. I was hoping I would be back out running by now. But to be honest, it still hurts when I walk and it is starting to concern me.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and go and see my doctor for an x-ray. It's probably a good idea to find out the extent of the injury. If it's just a sprain than I'll give it the appropriate time to heal before resuming my training. But I am concerned that it might be more than a sprain--maybe a small fracture or a tear or something like that. Regardless, I know I need to get it checked out. I will call and make an appointment on Monday.

Fortunately, I like my doctor. He is the one who triggered the start of my transition from fat to fit. I am rather looking forward to a visit. I haven't been back since he delivered the gloomy news about my health issues. Since then I quit smoking, lost 30 lbs., completed two trail races, and was running 40 miles per week in my training. Not bad for a formally overweight and out of shape couch potato. I think he will be pleasantly surprised at the transformation I have made so far.

How about you? What are you proud of?

3 comments:

  1. Good idea to be safe and having it checked out.

    There are various levels of things you could have done to your ankle..probably nothing but a grade 1 sprain...it's only been a week after all.

    I looked at this which seems useful:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprained_ankle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the recovery, and always go with better safe than sorry. Remember you're working on the time-scale of the rest of your life, and in that sense a few missed runs are nothing. It's always been a huge challenge for me, admitting I just need to ease up, but I think that's true for most of us crazy running types. I blew out my knee training for my first half, and stubbornly thought I could "run through it." Ending up making it so bad that I limped the last two miles of the race, then spent a good year getting my knee back into form. In January I strained my achilles on a 17 mile, but this time I severely cut back then slowly eased into runs. It took me two months to get back up to 14 miles, but this time everything feels great. The wait is worth it! Here's to hoping its not that bad, and that you're back on the trail soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a speedy recovery! I hope it's nothing serious, and that all you need is a bit of rest, as well as ice and hot packs.

    Whenitalkaboutrunning is so right! I keep falling and injuring myself on Barr trail (today I managed to split open my shin after tripping on a rock), but I kept going...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger