April 18, 2011

My 50K Ultramarathon Training Schedule

(Note: I was unable to complete this run due to an injury. I am now training for the 2011 Rockledge Rumble). 

I've decided to change my approach to training for and running my first ultramarathon. I had originally given myself three years to achieve my Three In Three Challenge goals. However, my fitness level has improved much quicker than expected. As a result, I have decided to run my first ultra distance as a "fat ass" (self supported) trail run on my birthday, July 24th, 2011. I will still run the Rockledge Rumble 50K in November as my first "official" ultramarathon race.

After reviewing many training programs I decided to follow the UltraLadies 50K Training Schedule. Yes, I realize it says ultra "ladies" but I am OK with that. I have no problem getting in touch with my feminine side. And if you want to call me "girly" for training to run 31 miles, then bring it on. I can take it!

Seriously, though, I like the format and the miles of this schedule, so it should work out well for me.

Source: TrailRunEvents.com
Since I am 14 weeks away from my July 24th target date, I will start my training on Week 7 of the schedule.

I was originally planning to swap the Saturday and Sunday runs. I prefer to do my long run on Sunday. However, Neil clarified in the comments that the Sunday run was intended as a recovery run, which makes sense to me now. So I will follow the plan as originally designed; but as usual, I will listen to my body and modify the plan as needed to ensure I do not fall victim to overtraining.

If you are in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, block off July 24th on your calendar. I would LOVE to have you run part or all of my first ultramarathon with me. I plan to run it at the Northshore Trail.

Hope to see you there!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Thomas,

    I'll volunteer to help you out on the 24th all other things in life allowing (kids/wife/etc). Doing 50k unsupported for the first time is madness, admirable, but madness. By the 24th I expect I'll be at at least 25K at your current paces and if not can at least assist with setting some water/food drops for you on the course.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is (roughly) the training plan I'm following. The main differences being I've converted the distances to kilometers and rounded up (yep!).

    A bit of advice: don't swap the Sat/Sun runs, just shift the week forward by one day (i.e. first run on a Wednesday instead of Tuesday). The idea behind the weekend runs is that you do the longest run on the day you plan to race and then follow it with a recovery run the next day. Swapping the days will leave you without a recovery run which will increase your potential for injury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuart--Thanks! Would love to have the company out there running! Keep me updated on your training progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil--you raise a good point about the recovery run. I never really thought about it that way. I am going to switch the training back to its original design and then update the post to reflect the updated plan. Thanks for setting me straight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas, I used this schedule to train for my first ultra back in March, the HAT Run 50k. It worked well for me, though I would have benefited from more hill running/walking as the course was very hilly. Also went out too fast but I always do that :(. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I also agree with Neil, the back-to-back runs on the weekends with the long run first helped (I think) build up my endurance and ability to keep going when tired. Just my $.02.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Larry. Appreciate the affirmation!

    As for hills, etc., fortunately I am training on the actual course that I will run for both my fat ass ultra in July and my first official 50K in November. Home court advantage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas -- I'm glad I could help. Larry is right about the longer runs building endurance and mental stamina. You'd be surprised at what the mind can achieve when the body screams at you to give up.

    Here's a tip I've found useful: if your scheduled run is around 18 miles or more and you're not really feeling on form, split the distance up into smaller runs (say, two 9-milers or three 6-milers) and complete them throughout the day. It doesn't matter how you reach the target distance for that day, just as long as you do the total distance. This can also help with developing the mental skills necessary for ultras.

    Remember, ultra-running is not about speed, but about time on your feet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger