August 1, 2010

The Long Run

Today was my first long run in my training plan. Each week I will increase the long runs (jogs), with a few rest weeks (reduced mileage) mixed in. I was scheduled to jog four miles today (I know... for most of you reading this, four miles is your warm-up!). I picked an out and back part of the course that I know well and is more challenging than some of the other areas of the Northshore Trail. When I reached the 1.5 mile mark my calf muscle was hurting again, so I stopped for a bit to gently stretch it out. After about five minutes I resumed my jog. When I arrived at the two mile mark, where I was planning to turn around, I felt so good that I decided to keep going! I jogged for about another half mile, to just over 2.5 miles and then turned around at a small bridge (picture below).

During my jog back I was full of energy and loving every moment. I even started whistling an old classical tune I used to play on the panio when I was young. I saw a squirrel look over me as if I was a nut case (but then they probably look at everything as a nut). The jog back to the MADD shelter seemed almost effortless. I felt really good.

When I arrived at MADD I checked my GPS and I had gone about 5.25 miles. I decided that I wanted to round off my first long run at six miles. So I stopped my GPS, walked over to my Jeep, refilled my bottles with water, and then hit the trail going in the opposite direction. I jogged half the remaining distance and then crossed over to the return trail to finish out the balance of the six miles.

Funny story on the way back. With only about a .25 miles left to go, I was still feeling pretty good so I picked up my pace a little bit. I could hear some mountain bikes approaching behind me. The front rider yelled out, "runner ahead." They do that to warn the other bikers that there is someone on the trail. For a quick second I looked around to see where the runner was. Then I realized he was referring to me! How cool is that... he called me a RUNNER!

Here's the map from my run today...






Following are a few pics from my RUN today, and then a quick L4 report.


About 1 mile north of MADD


Almost 2 miles


One of my favorite spots on the trail;
Can see the lake off in the distance.


The bridge where I turned around.
Approximately 2.55 from MADD.

My L4 Report

This will be a quick one today.

Laughs. When I woke this morning, I really didn't feel like running. I was tired and really not that motivated. But after my coffee and a little cereal I headed out to the trail. By the end of the first mile I was having a ball. I just need to remember to get out there and keep running!

Limbs. As mentioned above, I am still struggling with my right calf muscle. I put a little Myoflex on it before and after my run today. As I write this it feels pretty good now, but it was definitely bothering me on the trail. I stopped at 1.5 mile to stretch it and that seems to help. It was feeling more stiff at 2 miles than painful. By the end of the run I could still feel it but it wasn't what I would say was hurting.

Lungs. I take my long runs slow. So my lungs felt good today. I did cough a little at the start of my run, but after about the first mile I settled into an easy pace that was easy to breath and didn't bother my lungs. I am most certainly seeing improvements in my cardio fitness.

Learning. My focus right now is on learning how to properly hydrate. Thanks to everyone who has posted comments to give advice on hydration. I am going to write a separate post about my hydration experienced today. For now, the short version is that I weighed myself immediately before and after my run today and in only 6 miles I lost 1.5 lbs. So I am clearly under-hydrating as I run. Again, more on this in another post.

That's it for now. If you are reading this and you haven't already, come and connect with me on Twitter or Facebook.

Remember: To finish is to win!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good run! I've never had calf problems but I use a foam roller on my IT band. Maybe that would help loosen up those calves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see by your pics that you have a nice running trail out there. running close to nature on trails like these really have a way of energizing you on a run. i admire your dedication, too (When I woke this morning, I really didn't feel like running. I was tired and really not that motivated. But after my coffee and a little cereal I headed out to the trail). keep it up and run safe always!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger