September 7, 2010

Gotta Love A Wet One!

My trail run today was awesome! I ran naked like I've done in the past. It's been raining most of the day, so the trail was nice and wet. I figured there wasn't much point in wearing a shirt since it would have been soaked within a few minutes from the rain.

My training plan called for a 3.5 mile run today. I decided to start my run at the Murrell Park entrance and to run north-west to the MADD shelter, clockwise on the Northshore Trail (which is the wrong direction on the one-way paths--however, I was the only one out there, so no problem!). I also knew from previous runs that this loop would only get me slightly over 3 miles. So when I arrived at MADD, I keep going north-west, adding a little over a quarter mile, and then looped back to MADD through the bamboo forest. I then continued from MADD back to Murrell Park. The total run was about 3.8 miles. Perfect.


Today I had an unusually high amount of energy. My legs felt really strong. My lungs did not bother me at all, one of the few times I can say that since I quit smoking. Maybe I had the same buzz as I did the last time I went mud running on the trail. Don't know. All I know is that today was different. When I think about my last few runs, I've gone faster on each and felt better during and after. Even today, I felt like I was holding myself back, but I ended up running this distance nearly as fast than I have previously.

Thinking about it, the major variable that has changed is the temperature. Over the last couple of months I've run in 90+ degree weather. But my last three runs have been in the mid-70's, at least 15 degrees cooler. I have to think the cooler temperature is making it easier for me to run, or at least easier on my lungs. I just didn't seem to get winded as quickly as previous times. I'd like to think that my fitness level is increasing also. I suspect that is the case and the two variables (temperature / fitness level) are complimenting each other. Regardless, I'm diggin' it!

How about you? Do you notice a difference in your performance in response to changes in the temperature?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger