September 26, 2010

Rocky Point Trail

I decided to change it up a bit today for my long run. I typically run the Northshore Trail. But I've decided to start checking out the other trails in the area, just for a little variety.

Today I ran the Rocky Point Trail in Flower Mound, TX. I started at the trail head on High Road with the intent of running to Lake Grapevine and back. From some previous research I thought the trail was just under four miles long. My training plan called for a six mile run today. So Rocky Point was a little longer than planned, but I decided I would run the first three miles and then turn around.

However, it didn't turn out that way. I sometimes stop my GPS watch when I detour off the trail to take pictures. I must have forgot to start it back up again because at one point I looked down and my watch wasn't recording. I had no idea how far I had run with it stopped. So I had no idea how far I had run! But I was feeling good, so decided to keep running.

When I reached the lake (for the second time), I decided to turn around. I also pushed my lap button so that I could measure the distance on the return. After checking my stats post-run it looks like the return was about 4.37 miles, making the total trip about 8.74 miles. It was longer than I was planning to run, but I enjoyed it.

Here's some pictures of the trail...

Rocky Point trail head on at High Road.
Rugged terrain during early portions of the trail.
The trail runs along a small river.
More along the river.
Trail is overgrown in spots, can be hard to see trail.
A neat little straight away through the trees. 
The trail has a couple of small river crossings.
Still following along side the river.
First view of the lake in the distance.
The trail turns to sand as you get closer to the lake.
In spots the trail is overgrown.
What the heck are these?
The trail eventually turns into old jeep trails, mostly overgrown.
An open meadow along the trail.
A view of Lake Grapevine from my turn around point.
Poison Ivy?
More lake views on the way back.
I have company. These tracks were not there on the way out. Horse?
Back along the river close to the trail head.
This was a tough trail to run. There were some difficult spots and the overgrowth scratched me up a bit. But I loved experiencing a new trail. Would I run it again? Absolutely. But I will probably wait until winter or early spring so that the overgrowth is knocked down a bit. Otherwise, would love to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger