September 9, 2010

Northshore Trail Flood Pictures

I ran the Northshore Trail again today. I was interested to see how the trail faired after the flooding in North Texas yesterday. Before I get to the pictures, I'll give a couple of quick trail run reports.

First, during the storms yesterday, I wasn't comfortable running the trails. We had flood warnings, the police were closing roads in the Flower Mound area, and we had tornado watches (one eventually touched down in Dallas). I thought it best just to stay inside. So I hit the treadmill for a slow 4 mile jog. I had no issues with my legs or lungs.

The rain stopped last night and the police opened the roads. So I headed out this morning for a run on the trail. My training plan called for a 3.5 mile run. But I ended up adding another mile due to some detours along the way. The detours weren't because I couldn't get through the trail, but instead, that I checked out some areas off the trail (described below). Anyway, the run felt good. As with yesterday, no issues with my legs or lungs.

Here's a map of my run today, followed by some pictures of the flood damage.

Here's some pictures from the trail today.

Boat launch parking lot at Murrell Park
Picnic areas at Murrell Park.
Bridge washed aside along Northshore Trail
Critter marks in the mud. The shoe print is mine!
e
Small trees down across the Northshore Trail
By the concrete bag bridge, usually dry, water flowing quickly.
Look at the tall grass in top right of picture... that was the river crest!
Flooded roads to boat house docks
The floods yesterday were not as bad as what we saw in North Texas in 2007. Regardless, Mother Nature left her mark on the Northshore Trail.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - looks like that area got hammered pretty good. Any damage to nearby houses and buildings?

    We actually had some pretty disastrous flooding here in Atlanta a year or two ago and people started taking to the streets in kayaks and jon boats - it was pretty wild.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger