September 28, 2010

Knob Hills Trail (Dunham)

My trail run today was fantastic. For the second run in a row, my calf muscle didn't bother me. I felt so good that I didn't want to stop. I also ran at a faster pace than usual. No lung problems. Lots of energy. Fantastic!

As mentioned previously, I am trying to get out and experience some of the other trails in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. I've decided to start with the trails surrounding Lake Grapevine. Today I ran part of the Knob Hills Trail, starting at the Dunham Road trail head and heading southward.

My training plan called for a 4 mile run today. So my intention was to run about 2 miles, then turn around and run back. But I was enjoying the trail so much that I keep going until I ran into a very wet swampy area that was significantly overgrown. Instead of trudging through the swamp, I turned around and headed back.

Here's a map of my run, followed by some pictures from the Knob Hills Trail.

The Knob Hills trail has three trail heads (that I know of). I parked at the Dunham trail head, which is located at the end of a gravel road.

Knob Hills Dunham Trail Head Parking

The road stops after the parking area where it is blocked by a gate. The road continues after the gate for about a tenth of a mile, where it meets up with the trail. I could go right or left. I selected right.

Gate at trail head.
Parts of the trail are overgrown.
Some rocky inclines.
I loved this section, the trail slowing rolling back and forth.
Lots of cactus along side the trail.
Also pretty flowers (or weeds) to look at.
The trail works its way through a wooded area.
More of the wooded area.
Eventually, I found myself walking through a
mucky swamp. The smell was terrible!
I turned around when the water started overtaking the trail. 

I know the North Texas Trail Runners hold a yearly club run at this location. But I think it was cancelled the last couple of years because of flooding. I now understand why!


More interesting vegetation on the return run.
More rocky inclines.
I almost missed this little rest stop. I found a small offshoot
of the trail that lead me to this spot. See next picture...
The view from the bench pictured above. I
bet this is a fabulous view in the fall or spring.
The trail winding its way down from the bench rest area.
Back into the trees.
When I arrived at the road leading back to the trail head, I didn't feel like stopping. So I kept going a little further down the trail. I came across a neat little concrete bridge with a river flowing under it.

The concrete bridge.
View of the river from the concrete bridge.
Trail is significantly overgrown after the
concrete bridge, so I turned around.
The run from the trail back up Dunham road to the trail head is all uphill and covered in rocks. I picked up the speed a little bit so that I finished strong.

Closed portion of Dunham road heading up to trail head parking area. 
Well, that's it for this run report. Loved it. Will probably start at one of the other trail heads next time so I can see more of the trail. But this one is definitely a do-over.

3 comments:

  1. You took a picture of my Happy Place! The vista from that bench is beautiful and so peaceful, and it was a little surprise in the middle of the trail. That exact spot is why I'm going back on Saturday! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've run this, it's pretty awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a comment about your site: this is a very nice looking blog. I got your link from Problogger.net on the forum post about writing List Posts on blogs. My wife runs for a hobby, so I will point her to this site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger