October 7, 2010

Treadmill Success

I went for a slow and easy jog on the treadmill yesterday afternoon. My calf muscle was feeling better from my most recent injury. But I didn't want to hit the trails just yet. I wanted to make sure my calf is healing properly first. And I felt if I ran on the treadmill I could easily stop anywhere along my run and have a very short trip back to where I started!

I jogged about 3 miles and felt OK. I could feel a little tightness in my calf, but no pain. As I write this the next morning, no pain, but I can still feel the tightness. I think I will spend a little time gently stretching before going for my run today.

I seem to have mastered quick recoveries. I've spent the last three days practicing the R.I.C.E. method for recovery...

  • Rest
  • Ice
  • Compression
  • Elevation

I only wish I could figure out the cause so I can stop injuring myself to begin with!

On my next trail run I plan to take it VERY slow and easy. I just want to get a few miles in without hurting myself again.

1 comment:

  1. "I only wish I could figure out the cause so I can stop injuring myself to begin with!"

    Thomas, of course I can only offer general suggestions, since I don't know your body or your past training.

    You're longest run so far is 9.6 miles. I'm wondering how long it took you to work up to that distance. Perhaps you've pushed yourself too hard getting there? The 10% rule is wise. Baby steps, baby steps. Small increments of distance and Long Slow Distance. Trail running is especially hard on the legs due to the uneven terrain.

    Another rule that is important is heavy/light. Doing light cycling on your light days would help to build strength in your legs. Here is my training site with more detailed suggestions. Hope you can find out the cause of your injuries.

    If it were me, and I were overweight, I would get my weight down before I did serious distance running, but we're all different, of course.

    Hope you can find the cause of your injuries and get the injuries out of your life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger