October 17, 2010

L-Five Trail Run Report (12.5 Miles)

Something has definitely changed. My long run today was almost effortless. If I didn't have somewhere else to be (Cowboys game), I probably would have kept running!

I will expand on these below, but for now I will say that my legs were strong, my lungs did not bother me, I know I am in better shape than previously, and losing weight makes running easier. I've also found a running stride that feels natural and allows me to run injury free. So, all combined together, I ran further and faster than previously, and loved every minute of it!

Running through the bamboo forest along the Northshore Trail.
Length: 12.47 Miles over 2 Hours and 37 Minutes (12:35 pace)

Today was my longest trail run since I started my Three in Three Challenge. Although the run was only a half mile longer than my 12 mile revenge run, it felt much better and almost effortless.

The Northshore Trail is a combination of one-way and two-way trails. For my run today I decided to run all the one-way trails. I started at Murrell and ran east, almost to Rockledge Park, then hung a left and followed the west bound portion of the trail until just after the bamboo forest where it doubles back to the MADD shelter. Then I completed the small leg between MADD and Murrell. The total distance was about 12.5 miles.
Limbs: Excellent!

I saw the biggest change today in my legs. I've struggled with calf muscle injuries over the last couple of months. But this run was injury free. Why? I thought about it as I was running. In a lot of my previous runs I was trying to modify my stride to become more efficient or to avoid injury or to mimic something I read in a book and online. I was trying to run faster at times and slower at other times. Walk up hills, run up hills, jump over rocks, float over rocks. I've received endless advice (thank you!) and tried just about everything. But today was different.

I just ran naturally.

I wish I had the running vocabulary to better describe my running experience today. All I can say is that I ran at a speed that felt right and my foot strike felt very flexible and adaptive to the surface. I liken my legs today to the suspension of my Jeep articulating over obstacles. I think my legs are finally becoming trail rated!!!

Lungs: Excellent

I had no problems with my lungs on this run. I don't even remember coughing at the start of my run like I normally do. I think my lungs are finally healing from quitting smoking.

Laughs: Excellent

I can't express how elated I am about my run today (well, I guess I just expressed it!). Talk about a confidence booster! I feel like I could go out and run the ultra right now. I know that isn't the case, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. If I am able to continue running injury free, I am 100% confident I will be able to go the distance.

Learning: Run Naturally

Again, I don't have the vocabulary to describe it, but today I just ran naturally. I need to lock it into my brain so I can duplicate the feeling on future runs. I remember seeing a quote from Dean Karnazes: "Listen to everyone, follow no one." That's really where I am today. I take in all the advice I can get, try out different stuff, but ultimately, I find what works for me.

Next Week:


Week 9 of my training program:
  • Monday: Rest
  • Tuesday: 5 miles
  • Wednesday: 3 miles or cross training
  • Thursday: 5 miles
  • Friday: strength training
  • Saturday: 1 hour cross training
  • Sunday: 10 miles (but might do same run as today)
That's it for now! Happy trails!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great run for sure!! I love the quote by Dean K. Gotta do what works for you when it comes down to it!! Here's many more joyous runs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger