October 29, 2010

Almost Tapering

I had a good run today, a little over 7 miles. I wanted to see the starting line for my upcoming milestone race, the Rockledge Rumble 15K. So I asked my wife to drop me off at Rockledge Park, the furthest south east point of the Northshore Trail, and I started my run from there. I'm not really sure how they plan to route runners from the starting line to the trail, but I'll figure that out on race day.

I ran the trail until my wife was finished her errands. Then she met me at a road near the trail to give me a ride back home. If I didn't have to get back to work, I probably would have kept running. I'm at a point now where my available time, not my legs or my lungs, is becoming the limiting factor in my distance. I am pretty excited about that. The transformation is actually happening!

Map from dailymile.com
On another note, I've been working on changing to a forward foot strike (as opposed to a heal strike). Today was the first run where I used the forward foot strike from start to finish. I've eased into it slowly so not to injure my legs. I'm finally at a point where the forward foot strike is starting to feel normal. And my calf muscles seem to be getting stronger with every run. I will say today my calf muscles feel a little sore, but it's a good sore, like I've worked them hard but not overworked them.

I will probably rest tomorrow, go for my last long run on Sunday, then start tapering my miles for the race. I am excited about knocking this one off the list and moving on to my next milestone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger