May 16, 2011

50K Training Update

I continue to work through my 50K training plan. Last week was a recovery (or step back) week, reduced mileage to help my body build stronger from the previous week. The previous week was my highest mileage week since I started my Three In Three Challenge topping out at 42 miles for the week. It was also my longest trail run at 22 miles.

Looking back, I felt good going into last week's miles. My Tuesday and Wednesday runs were fine. Lots of energy, no real soreness, just did the miles with no problem. However, Thursday's run was different. I felt very sluggish. Maybe it was the weather--overcast and generally icky. Maybe I was feeling the effects of the prior week's training. But I just wasn't feeling it on Thursday.

View from the Concrete Bridge on the Northshore Trail.
I took Friday as a rest day and then ran 10 miles on Saturday. Due to some personal commitments, I wasn't able to get out the door until early afternoon, so it was a little hotter while running on Saturday, but it felt good. Really good. I prefer running in the heat than in the cold.

Yesterday I did my 10 mile recovery run. Again, I felt a little tired and sluggish during the run. By the time I had completed my loop I was about a mile short of the planned 10 and I almost called it quits. But I decided to finish out the last mile with a short out and back. I don't want to get in the habit of quitting when I am close to my target for the day.

Last night my feet were very sore. And I could feel that my legs were tired when climbing up or down stairs. But as I write this morning they are feeling a little better. I think the rest day today will help.

About 1 mile east of Far Gate. 
This upcoming week is another increase in mileage. My 50K training plan calls for a total of 50 miles this week, with a 24 mile run on Saturday. I find it almost unbelievable that a year ago I couldn't run a half mile without throwing up on the side of the trail (literally), but now I am running almost a full marathon for training runs! Amazing what the body can do when you push it and give it the time to respond.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the mileage this upcoming week. I don't want to overreach on my training and set myself up for an injury. Will pay attention to my body and make adjustments as needed. Will also try to get some extra sleep and rest this week to prep my body for the long run on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't able to get out the door until early afternoon, so it was a little hotter while running on Saturday, but it felt good. Really good.Thankjs for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger