May 20, 2011

Ready

My mid-week trail runs went well. No issues with my legs or feet. I am feeling good. Not tired or sore or anything else. Today is a rest day and then tomorrow I run my first 24 mile trail run since I started my Three In Three Challenge. This week will also be the highest mileage week so far in my 50K training schedule. I am excited about it. I definitely feel like I am ready.

My plan is to run three laps of an eight mile loop (made up of two four mile loops, one to the east of my bike and one to the west). This way I am able to run past my bike every four miles and my bike will serve as the aid station. In other words, I will keep my supplies at my bike so I can restock on each pass. In this way I will be able to do 24 self-supported miles on the trail.

As for hydration during the run, I just received my order of Succeed! S Caps. So I will give them a try on my long run tomorrow. I plan to take one per hour and see how it goes from there. As for water, I have moved more into a drink based on thirst mode, but that also seems to align with the previous work I've done on sweat testing. So on my eight mile loops I will try to drink somewhere around 70 oz of water per loop. That might seem like a lot to water to some, but I've not had any problems processing that amount of water. I don't get the sloshing in my stomach. I still drop a little weight on the long runs, so I know I am sweating a little more than I am drinking, and I also know I can't (or shouldn't attempt to) replace all the fluids anyway.

As for energy, again, I have moved more into a mode of taking in calories as I feel I need them. I take the gels when I feel like my energy is reducing, and I eat Clif Bars when I get hungry. I was trying to establish some type of regular interval for taking gels and bars to make it more predictable. But I am finding that if I just take them when my body wants them, that seems to be working out OK. I am thinking that when I get into the ultra distances, that might need to change. But for now, with these "shorter" runs, I am focusing on listening to my body and responding based on what I hear it asking me to provide.

It's an ongoing learning process.

Now, one thing I don't have control over is the weather. We are supposed to get some storms today and tomorrow. As long as the storms aren't severe in the morning I plan to run, rain or shine.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger