January 31, 2011

Week 28: Weight Set Point

I was able to make back (lose) most of the weight that I gained last week. So I am happy about that.

I think I might be at one of those "set points," a preferred weight that my body wants to maintain. I seem to be fluctuating around my current weight without much effort, one of the indicators of a set point.

However, I am in charge of my body, and it will go where I want it to go (at least, that is what I am telling myself!). Strange that I am having all of these internal conversations. If I start answering back, I should probably get that checked.

But I digress.

When I look at my average pounds lost each week, I notice that the average has gradually decreased from Week 1. So I expect the last 17 pounds will become increasingly difficult as I progress.

Have you found the same thing... the pounds are harder to take off once you get closer to your goal weight?

Weight Loss Summary
  • Week 01: Lost 4.0 lbs
  • Week 02: Lost 3.1 lbs, 07.0 lbs total, 3.5 lbs per week
  • Week 03: Lost 2.6 lbs, 09.7 lbs total, 3.2 lbs per week
  • Week 04: Lost 2.0 lbs, 11.7 lbs total, 2.9 lbs per week
  • Week 05: Lost 1.6 lbs, 13.3 lbs total, 2.7 lbs per week
  • Week 06: Lost 1.5 lbs, 14.8 lbs total, 2.5 lbs per week
  • Week 07: Gained 0.4 lbs, 14.4 lbs total lost, 2.1 lbs per week
  • Week 08: Lost 3.1 lbs, 17.5 lbs total, 2.2 lbs per week
  • Week 09: Lost 2.2 lbs, 19.7 lbs total, 2.2 lbs per week
  • Week 10: Gained 0.9 lbs, 18.8 lbs total lost, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 11: Lost 3.5 lbs, 22.3 lbs total, 2.0 lbs per week
  • Week 12: Lost 2.2 lbs, 24.5 lbs total, 2.0 lbs per week
  • Week 13: Lost 0.2 lbs, 24.7 lbs total, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 14: Lost 1.9 lbs, 26.6 lbs total, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 15: Lost 0.6 lbs, 27.2 lbs total, 1.8 lbs per week
  • Week 16Gained 0.5 lbs, 26.7 lbs total lost, 1.7 lbs per week
  • Week 17Gained 2.0 lbs, 24.7 lbs total lost, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 18: Lost 3.3 lbs, 28.0 lbs total, 1.6 lbs per week
  • Week 19: Lost 0.3 lbs, 28.3 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 20: Lost 1.7 lbs, 30.0 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 21: Lost 1.6 lbs, 31.6 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 22Gained 1.1 lbs, 30.5 lbs total lost, 1.4 lbs per week
  • Week 23: On holiday break, didn't track
  • Week 24: Lost 0.4 lbs, 30.9 lbs total, 1.3 lbs per week
  • Week 25Gained 0.4 lbs, 30.5 lbs total lost, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 26: Lost 2.6 lbs, 33.1 lbs total, 1.3 lbs per week
  • Week 27Gained 2.0 lbs, 31.5 lbs total lost, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 28: Lost 1.8 lbs, 32.9 lbs total, 1.2 lbs per week

3 comments:

  1. Yup. I approached my "natural" weight asymptotically.

    It's very difficult for me to train and get lower than that weight at the same time. I have to be hungry all the time...the running gets hard, etc.

    A new tack has been doing more weight training. I have not lost weight (in fact I've gained) but it seems to be I've traded fat for muscle. Seems to happen quite quickly too. No idea what's going on there.

    I don't know how the elite runners and bikers stay so thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get closer to my goal weight, it's come off a lot more slowly. My goal weight right now is 135 and I seem to be stuck at 143ish for the past 4 months. It's frustrating. But like Paul said, it's hard to balance weight loss with training for a marathon or more. Right now, I'm just making sure that I have enough energy to fuel my running and riding so I can hit my workouts as hard as they should be.

    I have dropped a couple of sizes in the past few months and I think that's from strength training, core work, and mobility work as well so I'm happy and maybe not as hard core about losing weight as I could be.

    I'm planning on buying Matt Fitzgerald's latest book Racing Weight Quick Start Guide and using that while I have some down time after my marathon this month. See if that helps a bit. This article is a brief summary of it.

    http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/racing-weight/5-keys-to-athletic-weight-loss_19983

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thomas. Love your blog. And like you I am preparing for a trail ultra and losing weight. In the last two years I have lost about 20 kilograms, which is really nice. But I want to lose another 10. And that is proving to be so very difficult. An injury stopped e running for a couple of weeks, which didn't help either.
    .
    After a period of moping about it, I will start doing longer runs again as well as doing more (indoor)rowing to build up core strength. And I really like rowing a lot. The increase in BMR should help. And if not,it will help me get fitter.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger