January 5, 2011

Pushing It

I pushed my pace a little today. I ran from Far Gate, the furthest north-west end of the Northshore Trail. This is the most technical part of the trail. I am trying to focus my attention here to train for my next milestone race, the Cross Timbers Half-Marathon. The Cross Timbers trail is know as the toughest little trail in Texas. So I am focusing on the toughest part of the Northshore trail in order to prepare for Cross Timbers.

About a mile in from Far Gate on the Northshore Trail.
Anyway, I ran three miles out and back for a total of six miles (Garmin Connect). I was trying to hit around a 10 mpm pace, but the technical nature of this part of the trail (rocks and roots with inclines and declines) slowed me down.

I will say that I am feeling more comfortable with the technical part, getting better with footing and navigating the rocks and roots, but I still have a ways to go, especially on the declines. I know I should run them much faster than I do, but I'm just not comfortable enough going fast down hill on the technical stuff yet.

Example of a sorta technical area.
Tomorrow I will take it easier, probably run a flatter portion of the trail and recover from the run today.

I have decided to reintroduce cross-training into my training, mountain biking specifically. Today I created an account over at the DORBA site and will start connecting with people there. I am also going to volunteer to help with building and maintaining the Northshore trail. DORBA is in the process of building a new section of the trail and I want to help make that a reality. I get so much from my visits to the trail and I need to give something back.

My legs are pain free and I am injury-free, once again thanks to the ChiRunning technique. I am so thankful that I came across ChiRunning.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the workout! It sounds like you are approaching your training in just the right fashion!

    I just started mtb riding last year and I love it! But I really do suck at it. I need a lot more time on the trails to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a beautiful trail. The downhill stuff will come for sure...that's a hard part for me too. I've been known to take a few "stumbles".

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a really nice run there, thomas. and over a challenging trail too as the photos show. i just had this thought that it's about time i do a little trail running again myself this week or next. a change of scenery wouldn't hurt:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger