January 3, 2012

Fat Ass 50K Training Plan

After six months of recovery from plantar fasciitis. I am finally healed and have decided to resume training for my first 50K trail event. I am calling this an "event" instead of a "race" for two reasons. First, this will be a fat ass (self supported) birthday run at my favorite trail, Northshore Trail, not a formal race. And second, at the speed I run, you can't really call it racing!!!

I've developed a 28 week plan starting today. I adapted this plan from the Ultraladies 50K plan. Why 28 weeks? Well, because that is the amount of time between now and my birthday! Not so complicated. I am following a similar plan as the one that I developed last time around. I plan to keep Monday and Friday as rest days, but I might incorporate a little strength training on those days as long as I do not feel tired.


Anyway, here's the plan. Click on it to see an enlarged version.


As you can see by the following graph, after the first five weeks of base, the plan gradually increases the mileage per week and also alternates between higher mileage weeks and lower mileage weeks.


Hopefully I can make it through this training cycle without injury!

Onward.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your self-supported race. That sounds like a hard endeavor but one you will easily conquer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your WW recommitment and your training plan are both awesome. When I run a "race" that isn't going to be a race at all, I call is an "organized running event." Can't wait to read about your WW progress, and am glad to know we are in it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring stuff! Found you on Twitter. Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is one muther of a training plan. I don't think I could do this plan...when I get above 45 miles/week it's dicey.

    I ran a pretty hilly 50k (slowly) on a lot less mileage than that plan..so if your have troubles I would have no fear dialing back to stay healthy (my opinion)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger