August 1, 2011

It's Worth It!

Last week I went to my doctor for my yearly physical. As I mentioned in my Three In Three Challenge, he was the person that inspired me to start this journey. Inspired is probably not the best word... scared the HELL of of me is probably a better fit! Anyway, I set out on this journey to transition from fat to fit. So what were the results of my last physical?

By this time last year I had already quit smoking but I had not yet started my dieting or my running. He identified three issues at my last physical. First, I was borderline obese. Second, my blood pressure was high. And third, I was outside the safe guidelines in all four areas of my cholesterol (weighted average, triglycerides, HDL, LDL).

So over the last year I changed my eating habits and ran my ass off. Was it worth it?

Dr. Santiago
I've lost 30 lbs (40 lbs if you include the 10 I gained while I was quitting smoking) and am no longer considered borderline obese (but I am still considered overweight). I still have 20 lbs to lose to reach my goal.

He said my blood pressure is perfect, in line with what he sees from some of his professional athletes (cool!).

My cholesterol has improved in all four areas. My weighted average is now in line. My triglycerides dropped almost in half (that's good), and my HDL increased by 10 mg (also good). My LDL is still slightly elevated above the target amount but dropped by about 16%, a significant improvement.

He said with the combination of quitting smoking and my weight loss, I've reduced my changes of heart desease by 90%. Bottom line, he called the change in my test results "impressive!" I'm pretty excited about that!

So where do I go from here? I am going to continue doing what I've been doing for the last year. Trying to eat right, taking off the last 20 lbs., and continue to train for my first ultramarathon.

But the benefit of this lifestyle change far exceeds the test results. As for how I feel, I am full of energy, I am able to focus, I sleep like a baby, and I just feel good about myself. For those of you thinking of making a similar healthy lifestyle change, let me just say this...

It's worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Many, many, MANY congratulations to you! Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, I can tell you it only gets better; I am 60lbs and two types of blood pressure pill lighter since starting running and just feel better every day. Marblearchie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I have yet to go back for a physical, but I'm down almost 40lbs since I started running (now training for my first Full marathon this October). It's amazing what this sport can do for you in return for all the hard work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congrats!! Impressive is an understatement, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I'm hitting my first year mark in few weeks. Now lost 50lbs and currently only 2 pounds away from the long awaited "normal weight" BMI-reading. Still planning to drop another 20lbs during the winter so I'd be in kick ass marathon shape by 2012. I might never get fast, but hopefully after the marathon I feel I still wanna go longer...

    I feel physically, mentally and in every way better than I did when I was 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger