June 17, 2011

Feeling Ready

Photo: Ben Swinnerton
Tomorrow I run my first trail marathon, and I am feeling ready. I've mapped out a loop on the Northshore trail that is just shy of 9 miles (will run it three times). The loop passes the water fountains twice in one direction and twice in the other. On my last 24 mile long run I did not hydrate properly--it was nasty! So I purposely selected this route so I am never more than a couple of miles from water. The challenge will be disciplining myself to keep drinking!

My plan is pretty simple. I will drink about 10 oz of water per mile, and take a Gu gel and a Succeed s-cap about every four miles. And I will eat a Clif bar whenever I am feeling hungry. I tested this approach a couple of weeks ago during a 19 miler and felt great at the end. So continuing another seven miles shouldn't be a problem.

The temperature could get up to 102F tomorrow, so I will get out as early as possible to try to beat the heat.

As for my ankle, this morning it is a little sore, but nothing serious. I am hoping with a day's rest today that it will be ready to go tomorrow.

My 50K training plan calls for one more 26 miler in two weeks, then I start tapering for my first fat ass (self supported) trail ultramarathon on July 24th. I am pretty confident that I will be able to go the distance.

Any advice from the marathon veterans out there?

3 comments:

  1. I find that I'm never hungry during marathons. So I don't eat and end up being sorry. About mile 23 I have to force feed myself, feeling like I'm going to vomit. I would recommend having a little bit to eat early on.

    I can't believe you're running a self-supported 50k. That's tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren--you know what they say about 50K's... they are just a marathon with a warm-up!!!

    Thanks for the eating advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would ignore the pace, go easy on the ankle, and have a great trail run...figure out the eating and drinking, work on your technique, etc. Take lots of pictures!


    But the heat sounds nasty. Don't be afraid to drop if it starts to kill. Starting early a Very Good Idea.

    Have fun Thomas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger