March 14, 2011

Pause, Reset, Resume

Over the last couple of weeks I decided to take a break from my quest. I think I was getting a little burned out on the whole exercise / diet thing. I was feeling really tired and didn't care about what I was eating anymore or about blogging or tracking my progress or much of anything else.

So I put it all on pause.

The pause is what I needed. It allowed me to reset, both mentally and physically, so that I am able to resume my transformation with a freshened spirit and enthusiasm.

So here we go again.

Some things on my mind?

First, I think I might have brushed up against the overtraining thing once again. After my last 16-miler, I really went down hill and didn't recover very well--I was very tired for most of the remaining week. So I took a break and dialed back my mileage. Yesterday I ran about 6 miles out at the Northshore trail and felt pretty good. As I write this I seem to have regained my energy and my legs feel good. So I plan to resume my training starting tomorrow.

In this training cycle I added a Saturday run to increase my overall mileage. I'm not sure if the Saturday run contributed to my tired feeling. I will try it for a few more weeks and if I get tired again will drop it from this cycle. Otherwise, I think my body just needs a little time to adjust to the additional mileage.

As for my diet, I've pretty much blown that off the last couple of weeks. I decided to eat what I felt like eating and am sure I will pay for it when I weight in next. But I needed a break and a greatly enjoyed it! I still have about 20 pounds to lose before reaching my racing weight. I would like to lose it before my first ultramarathon, but I want to continue to lose in a healthy and controlled manner.

As for blogging and reporting my progress, I need to stay up with regular posts. I need the accountability. If I just fade off into the virtual distance, its too easy for me to lose focus and discipline. So I will resume my regular posts starting with this one!

That it for now.

Would love to hear from others what you do to stay motivated and to keep going when you hit those low points along the way. Post a comment with your thoughts.

    3 comments:

    1. Low points come and go. I think you did wisely to 'relax' when the dip occurred. When i am a little fed up with running I take the bike (ATB or race) and start cruising. Still getting some exercise but not to demanding on the running muscles.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Bump to Dutch. Lows come and go.

      After my Fall goal race I laid low, too low, but was able to get back on the road and training again. I've been cautioning a friend of mine about the same thing - overtraining. For a lot of reasons - injury, diet, but mostly because I don't want the wall to come in on him.

      Glad you're back in the hunt for the Ultra! Keep moving.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Having races on the schedule keeps me motivated through the low spots. The low spots you are having now are part of the training and learning curve that will prepare you for your first ultra! Believe me, you will have low points during an ultra and you need to find the motivation to push through them.
      Look back at all you have accomplished so far...that should help you as well!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
    All rights reserved.

    Contact The Trail Jogger