March 28, 2011

Week 36: Stopping Self Defeating Behavior

For about the last three or four months I've hit a plateau with my weight loss progress. I thought it was related to a "set point" or something like that. But as I weighted in this week (and gained another 1.6 lbs) I realize that the primary reason why I have stopped losing weight is because I have stopped doing the things that I was doing previously when I was losing weight...

Mainly, tracking my consumption and staying within my allotted points.

So why did I stop? Why haven't I keep doing what I know works?

I'm not really sure why. I know it works. So why don't I continue doing it? Maybe because the discipline of tracking and staying within my points is harder than just winging it and eating anything I want. Maybe because the discipline is not as much fun. Maybe because I am lazy or undisciplined or unmotivated or

Bottom line, I know it works but I am choosing not to do it. That's the part I don't understand. Why don't I do what I know is the right thing instead of what is the easy thing?

Any thoughts on how to give myself a swift kick in the pants and stop my self defeating behavior so I can get back on track towards achieving my weight loss goal?


Weight Loss Summary
  • Week 01: Lost 4.0 lbs
  • Week 02: Lost 3.1 lbs, 07.0 lbs total, 3.5 lbs per week
  • Week 03: Lost 2.6 lbs, 09.7 lbs total, 3.2 lbs per week
  • Week 04: Lost 2.0 lbs, 11.7 lbs total, 2.9 lbs per week
  • Week 05: Lost 1.6 lbs, 13.3 lbs total, 2.7 lbs per week
  • Week 06: Lost 1.5 lbs, 14.8 lbs total, 2.5 lbs per week
  • Week 07: Gained 0.4 lbs, 14.4 lbs total lost, 2.1 lbs per week
  • Week 08: Lost 3.1 lbs, 17.5 lbs total, 2.2 lbs per week
  • Week 09: Lost 2.2 lbs, 19.7 lbs total, 2.2 lbs per week
  • Week 10: Gained 0.9 lbs, 18.8 lbs total lost, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 11: Lost 3.5 lbs, 22.3 lbs total, 2.0 lbs per week
  • Week 12: Lost 2.2 lbs, 24.5 lbs total, 2.0 lbs per week
  • Week 13: Lost 0.2 lbs, 24.7 lbs total, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 14: Lost 1.9 lbs, 26.6 lbs total, 1.9 lbs per week
  • Week 15: Lost 0.6 lbs, 27.2 lbs total, 1.8 lbs per week
  • Week 16Gained 0.5 lbs, 26.7 lbs total lost, 1.7 lbs per week
  • Week 17Gained 2.0 lbs, 24.7 lbs total lost, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 18: Lost 3.3 lbs, 28.0 lbs total, 1.6 lbs per week
  • Week 19: Lost 0.3 lbs, 28.3 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 20: Lost 1.7 lbs, 30.0 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 21: Lost 1.6 lbs, 31.6 lbs total, 1.5 lbs per week
  • Week 22Gained 1.1 lbs, 30.5 lbs total lost, 1.4 lbs per week
  • Week 23: On holiday break, didn't track
  • Week 24: Lost 0.4 lbs, 30.9 lbs total, 1.3 lbs per week
  • Week 25Gained 0.4 lbs, 30.5 lbs total lost, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 26: Lost 2.6 lbs, 33.1 lbs total, 1.3 lbs per week
  • Week 27Gained 2.0 lbs, 31.5 lbs total lost, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 28: Lost 1.8 lbs, 32.9 lbs total, 1.2 lbs per week
  • Week 29Gained 2.0 lbs, 30.1 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week
  • Week 30: Lost 0.6 lbs, 30.7 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week. 
  • Week 31: Lost 1.3 lbs, 32 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week. 
  • Week 32: Lost 1.3 lbs, 33.3 lbs total lost, 1.0 lbs per week.
  • Week 33: Didn't track.
  • Week 34: Didn't track.
  • Week 35Gained 5.0 lbs, 28.3 lbs total lost, 0.8 lbs per week
  • Week 36: Gained 1.6 lbs, 26.7 lbs total lost, 0.7 lbs per week

3 comments:

  1. for me, it's all about cost-benefit ratio. I know that keeping a VERY tight rein on what I eat along with cross-training and weight training will pay off in fat loss and give me the results I want. But at this point, I am not that ready to work that hard and count macro nutrients or pass up that dessert or do two-a-day workouts that are required to do that. Is that lazy? or a choice based on my current life and lifestyle and everything else I have going on? I like to believe that it is a choice. I have too much going on to focus that singularly. And for now, that's OK for me. Would my performance improve if I did? Maybe? Dramatically enough to make a difference? Probably not. Cost-Benefit ratio isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This self-defeating thing has happened to me as well. It is really frustrating. But it is only natural that motivation and discipline fluctuates. Don't be fooled into thinking your current state is permanent.

    Personally, when I stall at some aspect of my weight-loss, I focus on the others in which I still find myself motivated and naturally disciplined. For instance, I may loose sight of my eating, but then I work extra-hard on my martial arts training and that eventually motivates me into being more careful about my eating.

    Do keep running. Remember that you are a runner, not a "weight-loser." After you arrive at your weight goal you will continue to run all your life; the running is what powers the process, not the number on the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tendancy to self sabatoge as well. I have had to really look at why and sometimes it's because I'm stressed about work or family. But sometimes it's because I am scared of going for a goal and failing. The self sabatoge sets me up for failing so it's self fulfilling. I've learned that the hard way and I am much better about not doing it any more.

    Do you know all the reasons why you want to lose weight? Have you written them down? Posted them somewhere you can see them? Like on your desk at work or on the bathroom mirror or the refrigerator? When I start going down that dark road, it helps me remember why I need to get back on track.

    It also helps me to think about how many calories food is and how many I burn. Then I ask myself if that hamburger is worth a 10 mile run. Or is that peanut butter cookie worth a 2 mile run. Sometimes it is but most of the time it will make me choose something more sensible.

    I also use carrots to keep me on track...like a race or a new pair of shoes or something. For a race, I have a little chart on the refrigerator that tells me how much faster I will be per mile if I lose 5 lbs or 10 lbs, etc. The getting faster is very motivating to me! ;) . I also tell myself I can get the shoes (or jeans or whatever) when I lose 10 lbs or something like that. It gives me a short term goal to shoot for. Sometimes, the big picture goal takes so long and is so far away, it loses it's urgency. The short term goals give you stepping stones to stay on track. Success breeds success, I think.

    One last thing I do is I currently have a photo of Jenn Shelton and Tony Krupicka on my refrigerator. Cheesy, I know. But it helps remind me that I want to run ultras and I'll have more fun and my body will be less stressed if I weigh less. Maybe you could do that with your next race's course profile or something. Just something to give you a visual reference of your goal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger